Take a Knee: Keanon Lowe reflects on his humongous block against Washington State

Oregon sophomore wide receiver Bralon Addison (11) and Oregon junior wide receiver Keanon Lowe (7) celebrate in the end zone after Lowe's touchdown run during the third quarter. The No. 2 Oregon Ducks play the Washington State Cougars at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Ore. on Oct. 19, 2013. (Michael Arellano/Emerald)

Posted by Victor Flores on Monday, Oct. 21 at 12:31 pm.

One of the biggest plays from Saturday’s Oregon-Washington State game was Thomas Tyner’s 66-yard touchdown run with 4:40 left in the second quarter to give the Ducks a 34-21 lead. While the run was brilliant, the biggest highlight on that play was the devastating block by wide receiver Keanon Lowe on safety Deone Bucannon that opened the running lane wide open for Tyner.

After Oregon’s practice on Monday morning, Lowe talked about his block and how important blocking is for Oregon’s wide receivers.

Describing his block on Bucannon

“It was me and Daryle Hawkins out there on the left side,” Lowe said. “It was kind of a stretch run to the left and Daryle did a great job. There wouldn’t have been a play if Daryle didn’t seal off his guy first. I had the corner and the safety there and I kind of froze the corner and stuck on him. I went to the right and the safety didn’t see me and I got to knock him out a little bit.”

On whether or not receivers’ eyes light up when they see an opportunity for a big block

“Definitely,” Lowe said. “They take shots on us, I know how DBs (defensive backs) are, so when I get my shots I’m firing every time.”

Best comment from his teammates after the block

“Some of the guys said that was the best block they had ever seen from a receiver,” Lowe said. “Some of the big guys, the linemen (said that), so that felt good.”

How the team reacted to watching his block on film Monday morning

“It wasn’t just me,” Lowe said. “I had that highlight block but we had a couple other highlight blocks in the group as receivers. (Receivers coach Matt) Lubick actually thought that was our best game as far as run blocking and being physical. So, we have to build on that and see how physical we can be next week.”

On taking pride in blocking

“That’s the Oregon offense,” Lowe said. “Whether it’s through the air or on the ground, we know we have a big part in the offense. We take pride in it and we love when we rush for over 300 (yards), 400, whatever. We love that and we want to keep doing that.”

If blocking is as important as catching for receivers

“Definitely,” Lowe said. “You can’t play receiver here or get reps here if you can’t block first, so that’s one of the first things that we’re taught here as a freshman coming in. I had some great guys ahead of me. I had LT (Lavasier Tuinei), D.J. Davis and Jeff Maehl, even Josh (Huff). They did a great job of mentoring me and teaching.”

How satisfied Lowe is with his role in the passing game

“Of course, I’m satisfied,” Lowe said. “I’m not the type of guy that cares about any type of stats. I like wins and I like when our offense does well. That’s what I’m all about.”

• catherinekylie

The improvement in home improvement industry sales had been driven by a decline in 30 year mortgage rates, which had fallen from nearly 5.1% in first quarter 2009 to 4.4% in third quarter.