Oregon’s pink football helmets help raise over $200,000 for cancer research

A sea of pink emerged from the Autzen tunnels as the Oregon players took to the field prior to kickoff. The No. 2 Oregon Ducks play the Washington State Cougars at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Ore. on Oct. 19, 2013. (Michael Arellano/Emerald)

Posted by Victor Flores on Tuesday, Oct. 29 at 12:00 pm.

The pink helmets worn by Oregon football players on Oct. 19 against Washington State netted some lucrative results for cancer research. Oregon auctioned off 25 of those game-worn pink helmets, helping raise over $200,000 for the Kay Yow Cancer Fund.

Several helmets were autographed by well-known Oregon alumni, including Nike co-founder and chairman Phil Knight, former running back and wide receiver Ahmad Rashad and former quarterbacks Dan Fouts and Joey Harrington.

The cancer fund is named after Kay Yow, the head women’s basketball coach at North Carolina State from 1975-2009. Yow died of breast cancer in 2009. More than $2.6 million has been raised by the fund to help pay for research and programs involved with many women’s cancers.

“Cancer has touched so many lives and hopefully, together with Nike and the Kay Yow Cancer Fund, we can help create awareness and help raise money for the fight against women’s cancers,” head coach Mark Helfrich said in a statement. “It is an honor to join coach Yow’s team in a fight that unites us all.”

One person touched by breast cancer is Oregon wide receiver Josh Huff. Huff’s godmother died of breast cancer and his current girlfriend beat it.