OSPIRG pushes for labeling GMOs on local food

Without a legal obligation to inform consumers that their food contains genetically modified organisms (GMOs), University of Oregon's OSPIRG works to raise awareness. (Dominic Allen/Emerald Media)

Posted by Carolyn Cruze on Wednesday, Nov. 13 at 12:00 pm.

Update: The Emerald has clarified the testing process for GMOs.

Corn and soy are two of the most common genetically modified foods in the market. They are found in salad dressings, sodas and other foods people eat on a daily basis, yet there are no current government requirements to label them. In fact, large corporations are spending millions to insure that labeling of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in foods is not required. OSPIRG, a student organization on campus, is fighting to stop this proposal.

Lead by Charlotte Baker, OSPIRG’s GMO labeling campaign was established last fall to inform the public that they may not actually know what they’re eating. “We deserve the right to know what’s in our food,” said Hannah Picknell, OSPIRG’s UO chapter chair.  “It’s not about whether GMOs are good or bad, but we want to help people get the right to know what they’re eating.”

Developed after Washington’s GMO labeling I-522 measure was shut down, the campaign is backed by several interns working to reach a goal of 1,000 public comments. According to Evan Preston, the policy associate, the $8 million raised to support the labeling of GMOs in Washington was blown out of the park by big manufactures such as Monsanto, Pepsi and Nestle, who spent over 22 million dollars on ads to stop the measure. “In California they spent nearly double that amount to stop GMO labeling,” Preston said regarding a similar campaign.

According to Preston, there is little to no testing on GMOs, so it is difficult to get long term information about how they will affect people.

“What businesses will say is that they don’t need to do independent scientific research on these GMOs,” Preston said. “Because the businesses control the patents, there is currently no safety testing requirement on GMOs in America.”

Due to the restrictions regarding testing of GMOs, it is difficult to argue their effect on people. “When you buy fish it will say farmed or wild, but we don’t know if our food is genetically modified,” Baker said. “You can eat what you want, but our goal is to give people the knowledge so they make an informed decision.”

Hosting a kick-off event on Nov. 21 in the EMU, Baker and Picknell plan on educating the public on places to go to get GMO-free food, what stores label GMOs and common GMO foods. There will be giveaway buttons, candy and a GMO buyer’s guide booklet. “When a lot of people think GMO they think produce,” Baker said, “but corn is in everything, even your soda, so you could be drinking GMO foods.” OSPIRG is even planning on having a photo petition booth where people can take pictures with a giant man in a corn suit.

Aiding the campaign with research, Preston hopes that OSPIRG’s GMO event provides a good example to other universities to show what people can do to control what they put in their bodies.  “A really good campaign involves an issue people care about and is profound in that it has real impact on their lives,” Preston said. “That’s the end goal.”

• Anonymous

If you’re scared of GMOs, don’t eat food that isn’t labeled “GMO Free.” People who eat organic do it all the time without forcing all “non-organic” food to be labeled.

• Esplain Yourself

I can understand not wanting to ban GMO’s, but why on earth is anyone opposed to their mere labeling? What’s wrong with allowing consumers to make informed choices?

• http://geneticallyengineeredfoodnews.com Ella Baker

GMO food should be pushed away and be replaced by natural organic food ones.

• M De Jesus

I agree with you….

• guest

Cool to see that the Emerald is now accepting OSPIRG’s press releases and running their information at face value. Good show.

• M De Jesus

GMO will shorten human beings life in half. I learned from our genetic class that one of the DNA alterations the scientists are doing is dividing the normal DNA of the plant in half so that instead of bearing fruits every six months, the plants will bear fruits within 3 months. My professor said that the effect will not be seen not until after 15 or 20 years…

• monka

did you know that “Nutella” is made with palm oil…but nobody mentioned it. “Becel” is made with 3 different veg. oils, but we don’t know which. I prefer labeling our food.