GameDay: A look back at football season

Oregon senior wide receiver Josh Huff (1) hurdles Tennessee junior defensive back Justin Coleman (27) as Huff makes his way down the sideline. The No. 2 Oregon Ducks play the Tennessee Volunteers at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Ore. on Sept. 14, 2013. (Michael Arellano/Emerald)

Posted by Beth Maiman on Thursday, Dec. 5 at 4:00 pm.

Nicholls State

Aug. 31, 2013

@ Autzen Stadium

Mark Helfrich got his first win as Oregon’s head coach when the Ducks dominated the Colonels 66-3. De’Anthony Thomas and Byron Marshall provided an early look at the Ducks’ running talent, both rushing for over 100 yards. A major headline coming out of that game was cornerback Terrance Mitchell’s s hit on quarterback Beaux Herbert. Mitchell was called for targeting and immediately ejected.

Virginia

Sept. 7, 2013

@ Scott Stadium

In their first regular season game versus an ACC opponent, the speed of Oregon was too much for the Cavaliers as the Ducks won 59-10. Marcus Mariota finished the day with 122 rushing yards off of four carries. On defense, the Ducks had three interceptions and forced four total turnovers on the day. Duck fans also saw freshman running back Thomas Tyner in action for the first time, who ran for two touchdowns.

Tennessee

Sept. 14, 2013

@ Autzen Stadium

Marcus Mariota made waves in Oregon’s 59-14 win over the Volunteers, throwing for 456 yards and four touchdowns. Mariota became the first Oregon quarterback to throw for more than 400 yards in a game since Kellen Clemens in 2005. Freshman tight end Johnny Mundt finished with two touchdowns and 121 yards in his first-ever college start.

California

Sept. 28, 2012

@ Autzen Stadium

In a game that will be remembered for awful weather conditions, the Ducks overmatched California 55-16 to earn their first Pac-12 win of the season. Cal’s quarterback Jared Goff entered Autzen Stadium leading the nation in passing yards per game, but was benched early after fumbling twice and rushing for -11 yards. Wide receiver Bralon Addison shined on special teams for Oregon, running back two punt returns for touchdowns.

Colorado

Oct. 5, 2013

@ Folsom Field

Folsom Field was loud  as the Ducks got off to a slow start against the Buffaloes and trailed early for the first time in the season. Colorado’s Paul Richardson proved to be difficult for Oregon’s defense to handle as he finished with five receptions for 134 yards. Eventually the Ducks were able to find their groove, winning 57-16 and scoring over 50 points for the fifth straight time, a school record.

Washington

Oct. 12, 2013

@ Husky Stadium

In the newly renovated Husky Stadium, the Ducks fended off rival Washington 45-24 to pick up their sixth straight win of the season. Mariota had another solid performance going 24 for 31 and throwing for 366 yards and three touchdowns. The Oregon sideline was rattled as senior wide receiver Josh Huff was carted to the locker room with a right ankle injury, but Huff later returned and scored a 65-yard touchdown to start out the second half.

Washington State

Oct, 19, 2013

@ Autzen Stadium

The Ducks added another win to their record beating the Cougars 62-38, but it was Washington State quarterback Connor Halliday who was breaking records. Halliday broke the NCAA record for most pass attempts in a single game. With De’Anthony Thomas still sidelined with an injury he suffered against Cal, Byron Marshall stepped up for Oregon, rushing for 192 yards and three touchdowns. Mariota had another strong outing, throwing for 327 yards and two touchdowns, but also picked up his first turnovers of the season fumbling twice.

UCLA

Oct. 26, 2013

@ Autzen Stadium

Oregon was tied even 14-14 with the Bruins heading into halftime, but was able to keep UCLA scoreless in the second half, picking up the 42-14 win. De’Anthony Thomas was in the line up after missing three games with an injury and Marshall ran for at over 100 yards for the fifth straight game. However, the best highlight from the night was Rodney Hardrick’s 66-yard run after a fake punt.

Stanford

Nov. 7, 2013

@ Stanford Stadium

The No. 3 Ducks traveled to Palo Alto and were handed a 26-20 loss against No. 5 Stanford. The game looked nearly identical to Oregon’s loss to the the Cardinal last year. Mariota, who dealt with a left knee injury, struggled to find a rhythm. Although there was a glimpse of hope in the fourth quarter as Oregon scored 20 points, it was not enough and the Ducks picked up their first loss of the season.

Utah

Nov. 16, 2013

@ Autzen Stadium

Coming off the loss against Stanford, the Ducks beat Utah 44-21 with a strong second half performance. De’Anthony Thomas had a memorable 86-yard touchdown off a kick return and Marshall tacked on two rushing touchdowns for Oregon.

Arizona

Nov. 23, 2012

@ Arizona Stadium

The Wildcats stunned the No. 5 Ducks 42-16, stripping away hopes of a BCS bowl appearance. Arizona running back Ka’Deem Carey rushed for 206 yards and four touchdowns. Mariota threw his first interception since playing Stanford last season, and added another late in the fourth quarter.

Oregon State

Nov. 29, 2013

@ Autzen Stadium

Coming off the surprising loss at Arizona, Oregon was successful in a game coming down to the final minute against in-state rival Oregon State. A 12-yard touchdown from senior Josh Huff with 29 seconds left gave the Ducks a 36-35 win over the Beavers. Huff finished with nine catches for 186 yards. With that win, the Ducks finished the season undefeated at home for the first time since 2010.

Follow Beth Maiman on Twitter @bethamaiman