Chrishae Rowe talks about her Oregon scoring record

Oregon guard Chrishae Rowe (21) dishes the ball out to the perimeter during the second half. The Oregon Ducks play the Oregon Tech Hustlin' Owls in their final exhibition game at Matt Knight Arena in Eugene, Ore. on Nov. 4, 2013. (Michael Shaw/Freelance)

Posted by Jonathan Hawthorne on Monday, Dec. 9 at 5:51 pm.

On Monday, freshman Chrishae Rowe was named Pac-12 freshman of the week for the third time in five weeks after she posted 41 points against Seattle University to set the Oregon school record for most points scored in a game.

“I found out after the game was over,” Rowe said before practice on Monday evening. “‘You know you broke the record right,’ and I was like, ‘What?’ I guess that’s cool.”

Rowe said that she felt ready to go before the game and knew that it could be a night for the record books. Rowe’s mark of 41 broke the pervious records held by Taylor Lilley and Nicole Canepa, who recorded 38-point performances during the 2009-10 season. Rowe was just nine points shy of the Pac-12 record.

“I was confident going into the game,” Rowe said. “I just had a good feeling. The shots were hitting in warm ups and everything. My body was feeling good. And I went out and I knew that I had to run hard and things would come. That’s really what I focused on. I think it created shots and got my game going.”

Head coach Paul Westhead knew throughout the recruiting process that she would be a special player when she arrived on campus in Eugene.

“We knew that she was terrific during her whole senior year campaign in high school, so we knew that we had a good player,” Westhead said. “She can play inside, she can play outside. She’s kind of fearless.”

In just her freshman campaign, Rowe knows that she will have many more opportunities to leave her name in the Oregon record books.

“I mean, records are meant to be broken and if someone comes along and breaks it …” Rowe said. “[I've got] four more years here, so I’m not going to make a big deal out of it.”

So far, Rowe loves the team’s ability to bounce back from last season and turn the page.

“I love my team that does not give up, that we don’t quit,” Rowe said. “I think that we have a lot of fight and I love that.”

Westhead said that during her trip back east earlier this year to Connecticut, Rowe had a standout game against the reigning national champions with 27 points.

“When we went to UConn, most freshman would have taken a step back,” Westhead said. “And she really took a step forward and said, ‘Hey, I can do this.’ I would say that’s unusual.”

Oregon hosts Portland State this Saturday, Dec. 14 at 2 p.m.

Follow Jonathan Hawthorne on Twitter @Jon_Hawthorne