Pewter Rabbit Antiques adds shine to Pearl Street

Pewter Rabbit Antiques is a a small local boutique in downtown Eugene on Broadway and Pearl streets. (Taylor Wilder/Emerald)

Posted by Mackenzie Lamberton on Tuesday, Dec. 17 at 8:00 am.

Shelley Maynard has developed an appreciation for the value and character that is found in antiques. Because of this, Maynard is the owner of a local boutique, Pewter Rabbit Antiques, in downtown Eugene. This quaint boutique has unique character and charm, which is what keeps people coming back in.

“I love meeting the people who come in to the store and hearing their stories,” Maynard said. “Every day is different.”

Her appreciation for antiques comes from the fact that as a child growing up in Pennsylvania, she would constantly go to flea markets and hang out at the local second-hand store.

After getting married and moving to Oregon in 1971, she didn’t have a lot of money so she would go to Goodwill and buy things for 10 cents then go to the local flea market and sell them for 20 cents.

About 10 years later, in 1982, she opened Pewter Rabbit Antiques. It was originally located on Fifth Avenue but moved 15 years ago to its current location in the heart of downtown between Pearl and Broadway streets.

The store isn’t very large but is packed tight with all sorts of antiques, creating a maze-like feel when walking through. It’s the type of store you could spend all afternoon in and not even see everything. Ranging from old books to jewelry and little trinkets, there is really something in there for everyone.

The store sells an abundance of items. However, vintage jewelry and home décor are the most popular. The items found at Pewter Rabbit Antiques sell for a fraction of the price of contemporary stores, and they are of better quality. The things you will find in this store also come with a bit of character. All the antiques have been around the block a time or two, making each item especially different and unique.

Pewter Rabbit Antiques is a great place to go if you’re looking to buy a gift. Everything is sold at a reasonable price and you will find things here that you won’t find elsewhere.

Maynard hand selects everything that you will find in her store mainly from Eugene locals. Many people contact her and she will makes trips to their homes to see what they have to sell.

If you are a collector of some sort, Pewter Rabbit Antiques has a collectors program where they will alert you if something you collect has made its way into the store. Being the owner of an antique shop, it is inevitable that Maynard has a collection of her own. “I collect old toys and folk art,” she said.

Pewter Rabbit Antiques is home to six other employees who have a similar passion for antique goods like that of Maynard. The antique shop is open Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Stop by and take a peek and get lost among the antiques.