Countdown to the Alamo Bowl: How Oregon’s and Texas’ wide receivers stack up

Oregon sophomore wide receiver Bralon Addison (11) and Oregon junior wide receiver Keanon Lowe (7) celebrate Addison's touchdown during the fourth quarter. The No. 2 Oregon Ducks play the No. 16 Washington Huskies at Husky Stadium in Seattle, Wash. on Oct. 12, 2013. (Michael Arellano/Emerald)

Posted by Beth Maiman on Saturday, Dec. 21 at 2:00 pm.

In the days leading up to the 2013 Alamo Bowl, the Emerald will take a unit-by-unit look at Oregon and Texas, determining which team has the edge going into the showdown on Dec. 30 in San Antonio. Today, we’ll look at each team’s wide receivers, with thoughts on Texas from Wescott Eberts of Burnt Orange Nation.

Oregon

The Ducks are led at the wide receiver position by senior Josh Huff, who finished the year with 56 receptions for 1,036 yards. The 5-foot-11 202-pound Houston native also tacked on 11 touchdowns for Oregon this season. Quarterback Marcus Mariota has been known to look for Huff to come up with a big play when needed. This was especially shown in this year’s Civil War match, where Huff scored the game-winning touchdown and finished the game in total with three touchdowns and nine receptions for a personal-best of 186 yards.

Fellow Texan Bralon Addison also provided a spark for Oregon this season. Addison completed the regular season with 56 catches, 842 yards and seven touchdowns. The sophomore presents a threat to opposing teams in the return game, running back 19 punts for 285 yards and two touchdowns.

Also contributing to the Ducks are Daryle Hawkins and junior Keanon Lowe. Hawkins concluded the season as Oregon’s third best receiver with 23 receptions for 347 yards and three touchdowns. Lowe picked up 233 yards and three touchdowns.

Oregon’s pass offense accumulated 238 receptions, 3,536 yards and 31 touchdowns in the regular season.

Texas

Leading the Longhorns in receiving is senior Mike Davis, who caught 49 passes for 715 yard and eight touchdowns for Texas. In addition, Davis has produced ten 100-yard receiving games in his career, which is tied for second in the program’s history.

“He is a deep threat and has a knack for getting open. When Texas takes shots he is the guy they look for,” Eberts said. “Although he has an issue with his hands sometimes, they let him down.”

Junior Jaxon Shipley, brother of NFL player Jordan Shipley, is the second best receiver for Texas and finished the regular season with 55 catches for 581 yards and one touchdown.

“He’s (Shipley) super dependable,” Eberts said.

The Longhorns also have Kendall Sanders who Eberts describes as an explosive player and Daje Johnson. Earlier this week, it was announced that Johnson is academically ineligible to play in the Alamo Bowl.

“He is certainly the fastest player on the team,” Eberts said about Johnson.

The Texas receiving corps had a total of 237 catches, 2,706 yards and 18 touchdowns for the season.

“The wide recievers for the most part have been good,” Eberts said. “I think the big thing they have had to do is become blockers and they have definitely done that in the running game.”

Although Eberts said that due to their size, the wide receivers have not always been successful in the blocking game for Texas.

Advantage - Oregon. Just from a statistical standpoint Oregon is certainly a bigger threat in the pass game. The Ducks’ receivers are faster and have proven throughout the season they can ignite the team with big plays. With a healthy Marcus Mariota at quarterback, Oregon’s passing game should flourish like it did in the beginning of the season.

Monday: Offensive line

Tuesday: Tight ends

Wednesday: Linebackers

Thursday: Defensive line

Friday: Secondary

Sunday: Running backs

Follow Beth Maiman on Twitter @bethamaiman