Countdown to the Alamo Bowl: How Oregon’s and Texas’ quarterbacks stack up

Oregon sophomore quarterback Marcus Mariota (8) prepares to pass during the first quarter. The No. 2 Oregon Ducks play the California Golden Bears at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Ore. on Sept. 28, 2013. (Michael Arellano/Emerald)

Posted by Beth Maiman on Monday, Dec. 23 at 11:57 am.

In the days leading up to the 2013 Alamo Bowl, the Emerald will take a unit-by-unit look at Oregon and Texas, determining which team has the edge going into the showdown on Dec. 30 in San Antonio. Today, we’ll look at each team’s quarterbacks, with thoughts on Texas from Wescott Eberts of Burnt Orange Nation.

Oregon 

Quarterback Marcus Mariota has the second highest adjusted quarterback rating in the nation of 90.1 just behind Heisman winner Jameis Winston.

A healthy Mariota has proven the ability to make big plays this season and for the part most error free. Mariota went 12 straight games and 353 passes without throwing an interception until the game against Arizona in Tucson, where the Ducks fell to the Wildcats 42-16.

Mariota concluded the regular season throwing for 3,412 yards and 30 touchdowns. Mariota threw four interceptions this season, two against Arizona and two in the Civil War.

In addition to his passing, Mariota is a threat at the run game, accumulating 582 yards and nine touchdowns on the ground.

The 6-foot-4 211-pound Hawaii native will be playing his first game since announcing that he will play for Oregon next season, opting not to enter the NFL draft early.

Offensive coordinator Scott Frost said at a practice last week that the Alamo Bowl is the first step Mariota can take to improve for next season.

Texas

The Longhorns starting quarterback David Ash was sidelined after the fourth week of the season due to suffering a head injury. Stepping up in his place is senior Case McCoy, younger brother of former Texas and current NFL quarterback Colt McCoy.

McCoy played in every game for Texas this season and started in eight. He finished the season throwing for 1,885 yards and 11 touchdowns. McCoy also had 11 interceptions on the season and struggled in Texas’ last game of the season against Baylor, where he threw for only 54 yards and had a pass completion percentage of 35.3.

“Definitely the worst performance I have ever seen from a Texas quarterback,” Eberts said in regards to McCoy’s game versus Baylor.

Eberts also added that although McCoy has always been a confident and comfortable player, he is nearly not as talented as Ash.

“Case McCoy doesn’t have the running ability, so they (Texas) had to scrap the quarterback run game,” Eberts said. “He’s untrustworthy as a passer because he has bad mechanics and no pocket presence.”

Advantage – Oregon. Looking at statistics and game performance, Marcus Mariota is an overall better quarterback than McCoy. Oregon is ranked N0. 20 in the nation for passing yards, while Texas stands at No. 72.

Monday 12/16: Offensive line

Tuesday 12/17: Tight ends

Wednesday 12/18: Linebackers

Thursday 12/19: Defensive line

Friday 12/20: Secondary

Saturday 12/21: Wide receivers

Sunday 12/22: Running backs

Tuesday: Special Teams

Follow Beth Maiman on Twitter @bethamaiman