Alamo Bowl: Oregon’s Ifo Ekpre-Olomu still undecided about his future

Oregon junior cornerback Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (14) flashes a grin as the conference draws to a close. Oregon hosts their Alamo Bowl defensive press conference in the Marriott Riverwalk on Dec. 27, 2013. (Michael Arellano/Emerald)

Posted by Victor Flores on Friday, Dec. 27 at 4:57 pm.

SAN ANTONIO — The night before Nick Aliotti announced he would retire after the Alamo Bowl, sources said cornerback Ifo Ekpre-Olomu was expected to return to Oregon for the 2014 season. Ekpre-Olomu, however, didn’t give a black-and-white answer during Friday’s press conference.

“At this time, I still haven’t made a decision about what I’m going to do,” Ekpre-Olomu said. “I feel that I’m going to wait probably until I have the time to sit down with my family and actually think things through.”

Ekpre-Olomu’s parents are in their native Nigeria right now visiting family. After the Alamo Bowl, he’ll have a little over two weeks to make his decision (The deadline for underclassmen to enter the 2014 NFL draft is Jan. 15.)

The junior from Chino Hill, Calif., is projected to be a first-second round pick in May’s draft by several draft experts. Ekpre-Olomu, though, said he simply wants to focus on Monday’s game versus Texas at the moment.

“I’m really worried about the Alamo Bowl right now and that’s pretty much it,” he said.

Aliotti introduced Taylor Hart, Tony Washington, Brian Jackson, Derrick Malone and Ekpre-Olomu at the start of the press conference. He used full names and positions for the first four players, but when he got to Ekpre-Olomu, Aliotti said, “That’s just Ifo.”

Later, Aliotti was asked what he’d tell Ekpre-Olomu about the decision to stay or go.

“Ifo’s ready to do whatever he wants to do,” Aliotti said. “I respect that young man enough that whatever he chooses to do, I’m 100 percent behind it. Whether I stayed here or not, I’d still be 100 percent behind Ifo because the young man has to do what’s best for him and his family and when it’s all said and done, when you listen to him talk, he’s pretty intelligent. He’ll figure it out, and I support him in whatever he chooses to do.”