Oregon football: After Alamo Bowl win, what does future hold for Ducks?

Balloons drop from the rafters of the Alamodome after the Ducks win 30-7 against the Longhorns. The No. 10 Oregon Ducks play the Texas Longhorns in the Alamo Bowl at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas on Dec. 30, 2013. (Ryan Kang/Emerald)

Posted by Victor Flores on Tuesday, Dec. 31 at 11:14 am.

Leading up to Monday’s Alamo Bowl, several Oregon coaches and players discussed how important winning the final game of a season is for the next season. Tight ends coach Tom Osborne even said the 2010 national championship loss, Oregon’s only defeat that season, stung the program for a long time.

The Ducks won the Alamo Bowl 30-7 over Texas, so they won’t have that bitter taste in their mouths this offseason.

“A huge win and something our young guys need to build from and use as a boomerang into our next phase academically and strength training, etcetera, on into spring ball,” head coach Mark Helfrich said after the game.

The bitter taste might be absent, but the Ducks still have plenty to work on between now and next fall. While their 11-2 record this season is great, it is well below the bar they consistently raised the previous four seasons, in which they made a BCS bowl game each year.

Their two losses in 2013 were ugly, too. At Stanford on Nov. 7, the Ducks fell into a 26-0 hole and needed a blocked field goal return for a touchdown and a recovered onside kick to even make it a game. Oregon also fell into an early hole at Arizona two games later, but a huge comeback never materialized. The Wildcats won 42-16, one of the worst games Oregon has played that defensive coordinator Nick Aliotti can remember.

Even some of Oregon’s wins have caused concern. The Ducks needed a last-second touchdown to beat the Oregon State Beavers (6-5 at the time) at home. Against a depleted 8-4 Texas team, the Ducks struggled on offense for most of the game, especially in the red zone. They also committed 11 penalties against the Longhorns, giving them a single-season school-record of 105.

The Ducks also lose several key players: record-setting wide receiver Josh Huff, offensive guard Mana Greig, linebacker Boseko Lokomo, safeties Avery Patterson and Brian Jackson, and nearly their whole starting defensive line (Taylor Hart, Wade Keliikipi and Ricky Havili-Heimuli). They also lose defensive coordinator Nick Aliotti.

That doesn’t even include potential early entrants into the NFL draft, such as cornerback Ifo-Ekpre Olomu and running back De’Anthony Thomas. Even if they stay, Oregon will have to replace a ton of talent.

But the Ducks already have several key players coming back, and none are more important than quarterback Marcus Mariota. He’s one of the best signal callers in the nation and he had one of his best games of the year against Texas, rushing for a season-high 133 yards and throwing for 253 more. He seems hungry to come back next season and improve on this 11-win season.

“Just to come back strong and to finish the bowl game strong really sets us up for the future, builds a solid foundation for next year,” Mariota said.

While the defense loses many key players, Huff and Greig are the only offensive starters who won’t be back in 2014. No offense can make up for a bad defense, but retaining so many offensive players will be huge for maintaining this dominant Oregon run. Plus, the Ducks have several capable backups and recruits who can fill in on defense.

If those replacements play well next season and if the Ducks can be more disciplined and healthy, Oregon can easily remain a top-10 team. Those are big “ifs” but most teams would be jealous of Oregon’s stability heading into 2014.

• Deprecating Duck

We, players and fans included, need to drop the whole natty-or-nothing mentality and take WTD to heart. Oregon has the resources to recruit top talent and get an elite team together; they just need to execute. And we need to be supportive of them all of the way. No more fair weather fans.

• Nate Soroko

Yes the comments after the Stanford loss…”we font want to.play in the rose bowl”….meant fans and players assumed they’d win out…well they didn’t…faceless opponents and wtd

• DrJLD

I agree. This national championship-or-bust mentality helped the team to fall short of their goals. However, if we and the players can return to reality in 2014, and understand that a top-ten finish and a good bowl game victory should not be dismissed by anyone.
    Sports involve luck, injuries, and the occasional bad bounce. My father said about Life: “Always aim for the stars. If you miss, you will still have reached the moon.”
    Have the national championship as a goal (remembering that only two teams will get there) in the back of your mind, but play each game and every play for the game at hand and not for the future. Do this and the future will take care of itself. That was missing after Stanford.
    If the team resells itself on this philosophy, the future is very bright for the Ducks. Fail, and it will be rather difficult to keep the program functioning at the level everyone wants.