Oregon men’s tennis beats first ranked opponent at ITA Kick-Off

Posted by Justin Wise on Sunday, Jan. 26 at 5:02 pm.

After falling in its opening contest of the weekend to No. 17 Duke, the Oregon men’s tennis team rebounded on Sunday by sweeping No. 50 San Diego State 4-0 at the International Tennis Association Kick-Off. The win over the Aztecs was Oregon’s first over a ranked opponent this season and the Ducks’ players have collectively combined for a record of 21-4 in dual singles and 8-3 in dual doubles this spring.

The win over San Diego State was also the Ducks’ third sweep of the season after they decisively won the doubles point and quickly gained three singles points to seal the win at Duke’s Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center. Oregon was able to strike first in the doubles matchup when Robin Cambier and Kevin Farin handled Hunter Nicholas and Thorsten Bertsch, 6-3, to reach a 10-2 doubles record on the season.

The team would have to compete until the end for the doubles point, however, as San Diego State won the No. 3 match. Joey Swaysland and Daan Maasland would win a tiebreaker over their No. 2 opponents 6-5 to give Oregon that decisive first point.

In singles, the competition would be far less tense as three matches would end in straight sets, leaving three other matches abandoned.

After losing his first dual singles match of the season, Maasland bounced back in convincing fashion, winning in straight sets 6-2, 6-3. He is 3-1 on the season. Elsewhere, Daniel Sardu took care of his No. 4 opponent 6-3, 6-4. He too was coming off a loss on Saturday to a Duke. Freshman Jayson Amos continued to show his poise and provided the thrill of the weekend after he won 6-5 (7-5), 6-5 (7-5) in a tightly contested matchup.

Farin, Cambier and Swaysland all had their matches abandoned after the team sealed the victory. Cambier, however, did pick up his 80th career dual singles win on Saturday versus Duke, providing the only point the Ducks would receive that day.

The Ducks will come back home to host Fresno State in a two-match series this weekend. The first match scheduled for 5 p.m. PT on Friday and the second is slated to start at 11 a.m. on Sunday.

Follow Justin Wise on Twitter @JWISE25