Oregon’s Jillian Alleyne named national player of the week by U.S. Basketball Writers Association

Oregon forward Jillian Alleyne (14) draws the foul as she gets hit on the arm in the second half. The Oregon Women's Basketball team (9-8, 0-6 in Pac-12) host the Washington State Cougars (11-7, 5-1) Friday Jan. 24, 2014 at Matthew Knight Arena. (Michael Shaw/Emerald)

Posted by Jonathan Hawthorne on Tuesday, Jan. 28 at 10:42 am.

The U.S. Basketball Writers Association selected Oregon forward Jillian Alleyne as its Ann Meyers Drysdale Women’s National Player of the Week on Tuesday for games between Jan. 20 and Jan. 26.

Based on her standout performances against Washington State and Washington, Alleyne was nominated for the award after winning the Pac-12 player of the week on Monday.

Alleyne, who leads the nation in rebounding with 15.5 per game, tallied 21 points and recorded 19 rebounds against Washington State and performed even better against Washington. She posted 34 points and 25 rebounds against the Huskies. Alleyne now has 17 double-doubles, including 15 straight.

Follow Jonathan Hawthorne on Twitter @Jon_Hawthorne