Oregon cornerback Troy Hill pleads guilty to menacing

A penalty flag is thrown as Oregon junior defensive back Troy Hill (13) tries to deflect an incoming end zone pass to Stanford junior wide receiver Rollins Stallworth (13). Hill was called for passing interference on the play. The No. 3 Oregon Ducks play the No. 5 Stanford Cardinal at Stanford Stadium in Stanford, Calif. on Nov. 7, 2013. (Ryan Kang/Emerald)

Posted by Christopher Keizur on Friday, Jan. 31 at 10:40 am.

Oregon cornerback Troy Hill pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of menacing Friday morning. He also had a criminal mischief charge dismissed, per a plea deal with the prosecutors.

“I’d just like to apologize for my actions,” Hill said to Lane County Circuit Court judge Cynthia Carlson.

The court sentenced Hill to 36 months of probation, $200 in fines, 70 hours of community service (10 of which must be must be completed by the end of March) and three days in jail. His jail time, however, was waived due to previous time served. He must also complete a treatment program for anger, which is expected to last six months.

Both charges stemmed from a domestic violence arrest on Dec. 13 when Hill was arrested for menacing and felony counts of fourth-degree assault, including strangulation, after an argument with his girlfriend in his apartment. Part of his sentence restricts him from making contact with her.

One Oregon source told Andrew Grief of The Oregonian that Hill will be reinstated to all team activities shortly, as long as he complies with a “behavioral contract.”

Hill was suspended for the final Oregon home game of the season against Oregon State for undisclosed reasons. He was later suspended from all activities related to the Alamo Bowl, including the game, due to menacing, assault and criminal mischief charges and did not travel with the team to San Antonio.

Follow Chris Keizur on Twitter @chriskeizur

• Steve McAllister

Strangle girlfriend, back on the team. Nice to see that Oregon has its priorities straight. Who doesn’t want to go to a school represented by violent criminals? Awesome.

• Wolf

3-days in jail, 3 years probation, 70 hours community service, 6 months anger management classes, $200 fine, kicked off the team for the Civil War and the Alamo Bowl.

“Strangle girlfriend, back on team.”? Really? What more would he have to do to garner your blessing?

• Altiud

65 player arrests made on Florida players under Urban Meyer while he coached there really , u know 3 players alone under Nick S aban at Alabama were kicked from Scholl after robbing another student. For his money? Hmm trust me there are tons of instances over college sports he’s serving his due time over some domestic dispute never know ?

• Bob

I can only imagine what the media would be saying right now if this were Ohio State.

• Damien

They would destroy them. Urban has a history of letting criminals on his team. Oregon does not. Face it, people deserve second chances. If he screws up again he will be gone, guarantee. I’m sure all of us have messed up. If not, I hope the priesthood is working out for you.

• oregon111

domestic arguments happen all the time — now can we get back to our lives?