Oregon pitcher Cole Irvin will undergo Tommy John surgery, miss 2014 baseball season

Oregon pitcher Cole Irvin drops the ball as he attempts to out Dons player Jason Manhood at first base. Irvin recovered the ball and his pass to first managed to beat Manhood by a thread during the bottom of the sixth inning. The Ducks handle the USF Dons 6-1 with ease at PK Park during Oregon's third game of NCAA Regional play. Oregon will face Rice at 4pm PST in their second matchup against the Owls, a must-win game for the Ducks that would force a final game between the teams on Monday, June 3, 2013 (Michael Arellano/Emerald)

Posted by Victor Flores on Monday, Feb. 3 at 1:31 pm.

Oregon sophomore pitcher Cole Irvin will undergo Tommy John surgery and miss the 2014 baseball season. Todd Miles, Oregon’s Associate Director of Athletic Communications, said the surgery will take place next Monday. Baseball America’s Aaron Fitt first reported the news.

Irvin told KEZI’s Stephen Nelson that he thinks the Ducks will be fine without him.

“Unfortunately going to miss the first trip to Omaha with the boys…This team is going to go with or without me,” Irvin said.

Irvin was slotted to be one of Oregon’s main starters this season after his stellar freshman year in 2013, when he tallied a 2.48 ERA, four complete games and an Oregon single-season record 12 wins in 16 starts. He was also named a first team freshman All-American.

According to Fitt, head coach George Horton doesn’t plan on moving Jake Reed back into the starting rotation after Reed made the transition to the bullpen. Tommy Thorpe, Matt Krook and either Porter Clayton or Jordan Spencer are expected to make up the rotation in Irvin’s absence.

Perfect Game’s Kendall Rodgers also spoke with Horton and reported that Jeff Gold and Garrett Cleavinger are also in consideration for Irvin’s rotation spot.