Oregon men’s tennis Robin Cambier earns second Pac-12 player of the week award

Oregon senior Robin Cambier returns a baseline grounder during singles play against PSU sophomore Wil Cochrane. The Oregon Ducks play the Portland State Vikings in the Student Tennis Center in Eugene, Ore. on Jan. 17, 2014. (Michael Arellano/Emerald)

Posted by Justin Wise on Tuesday, Feb. 11 at 3:07 pm.

Senior Oregon men’s tennis’ Robin Cambier was named the Pac-12 men’s tennis Player of the Week today. The Brussels, Belgium native nabbed his second player of the week honor of the spring season after he helped Oregon defeat both Pacific and New Mexico over the weekend.

Posting a 3-0 record last week, Cambier improved to 13-2 with his doubles partner Kevin Farin, while also bringing his singles record to 16-2.

Playing in the No. 1 position over the weekend, the pair of Cambier and Farin won both of their matches. Against Pacific, the two defeated Marlon Brand and Daniel Alameh, 8-4. They then would cruise to a 8-2 victory over their New Mexico opponents on Sunday. He and Farin are ranked fifth in the northwest region in doubles.

In singles, Cambier continued his consistent play by handling Sam Verbeek of Pacific, ranked No. 105 by the International Tennis Association, and winning in straight sets 7-5, 6-0. His match with No. 45 Samir Iftikhar of New Mexico would be left unfinished on Sunday after the Ducks had clinched the victory. However, Cambier did win the only set 6-3.

Cambier currently needs two more wins until he is the program’s all-time leader in singles victories, a record currently held by Sven Swinnen at 84.

Follow Justin Wise on Twitter @JWISE25