Oregon women’s lacrosse earns 23-3 win over Coastal Carolina

Posted by Beth Maiman on Tuesday, Feb. 11 at 11:20 pm.

The Oregon women’s lacrosse team beat Coastal Carolina yesterday, scoring over 20 goals for the second game in a row.

On Monday, the Ducks beat Stetson 20-3 in their season opener.

Today marked only the third time in Oregon history that the Ducks had scored 20-plus goals in back-to-back games.

Shannon Propst, Nikki Puszcz and Courtney Valdez each contributed four goals for Oregon.

Casey Brogan, Devon Frazer and Carly O’Connell added three goals each.

“It was another fantastic team effort with a very smart, balanced and efficient level of play on both ends of the field,” head coach Jen Beck told GoDucks.com. “I am proud of how consistent we played in both games, especially in such a short time frame.”

The weather and restrictions on travel forced the Ducks to play back-to-back games.

Oregon excelled in free position shots, scoring eight times off of their nine attempts.

The Ducks worked steadily throughout the game, taking a 6-0 lead within the first nine minutes and holding the Chants to only two goals at halftime.

O’Connell was successful for Oregon on the draw and was one draw shy of tying UO’s single-game record for draw controls in a game. She set the record last year against St. Mary’s. Oregon won 22 draw controls compared to Coastal Carolina’s five.

The Ducks outshot their opponent 40-10.

Up next for the team will be another road trip at the beginning of March. Oregon will face Temple in Philadelphia, Pa. on March 1.

Follow Beth Maiman on Twitter @bethamaiman