Oregon men’s golf: Ducks struggle on final day, finish seventh at The Prestige

Posted by Justin Wise on Wednesday, Feb. 19 at 6:56 pm.

After succeeding in their first tournament of the spring season at the Amer Ari Invitational in Waikoloa, Hawaii, the Oregon men’s golf team struggled on the final day of The Prestige in La Quinta, Calif. The Ducks finished seventh, and their score of 285-281-287—853 (+1)  trailed the tournament winner, No. 11 Stanford, by 22 strokes.

Heading into today, the Ducks were in third place, above teams like No. 33 LSU and No. 23 UCLA. However, they would shoot their worst score of the tournament with a 3-over 287.

“We played the back nine poorly all week,” head coach Casey Martin told Go.Ducks.com. “That was a frustrating finish, but hopefully the guys are learning how to deal with the pressure and we will get over this hump.”

Over the course of three days, Oregon was carried behind the efforts of Ryann Ree, who was the only participant on the team to shoot under par for the tournament. His performance was good enough to finish 16th individually, going one-under over the course of The Prestige. He turned in a team-best 70 on the final day and finished in the top 20 for the second time this season and fourth time in his career.

Thomas Lim was not phased by the back-nine as much as his other teammates on Wednesday, shooting one-under par during the stretch. But he could not break par on the final day and finished in a tie for 24th with a score of 73-69-72—214 (+1).

Brandon McIver‘s performance was heavily affected by the back-nine at the Greg Norman Course. The sophomore posted four bogies just on the final day and finished with a score of 73-69-72—214 (+1). Sulman Raza struggled throughout the tournament but did show improvement each day, posting a card of 76-75-74—225 (+12) for the three days.

The Ducks will stay in the Palm Springs, Calif., area for the Wyoming Cowboy Desert Intercollegiate. The tournament goes from Feb. 21 until Feb. 23.

Follow Justin Wise on Twitter @JWISE25