Former Oregon football player Colt Lyerla Wins $10,000 at NFL combine

Oregon junior tight end Colt Lyerla (15) looks towards the student section during pre-game warmups. Lyerla is expected to play after missing the last game due to controversial circumstances. The No. 2 Oregon Ducks play the California Golden Bears at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Ore. on Sept. 28, 2013. (Michael Arellano/Emerald)

Posted by Troy Brynelson on Tuesday, Feb. 25 at 10:00 am.

Former University of Oregon tight end Colt Lyerla won a $10,000 prize from Adidas for his performance at the NFL Combine Monday afternoon.

Along with Oregon State wide receiver Brandin Cooks, Lyerla raked in the extra money as a reward for notching the best time in the 40-yard dash while wearing the Adidas adizero 5-star 40 cleat model.

After being jettisoned from the Oregon football team following an undisclosed issue within the team and being caught with cocaine in late December, Lyerla posted the second fastest sprint among tight ends with a 4.61 second effort. The 6-foot-4, 242-pound Aloha native ranked behind only North Carolina’s Eric Ebron and Tennessee State’s A.C. Leonard.

Cooks posted the second fastest time at 4.33 seconds, second only to Kent State running back Dri Archer, who ran a 4.26 40-yard dash. Cooks has the opportunity to win the $100,000 grand prize for the fastest overall 40-yard dash time after defensive backs get their turn on Tuesday.

Per the contest, the defensive back will also have to wear the adizero 5-Star 40 cleat, which has competed heavily against Baltimore-based apparel company Under Armour to jockey for the spotlight at the increasingly popular NFL Combine.

Adidas began awarding $100,000 to prospects in 2013. Marquise Goodwin, now signed with the Buffalo Bills, won in 2013. Afterward, he signed with Nike.

• colty

it’s great that all athletes have to do is play a game and still be awarded

• lol

Maybe you should have worked out physically harder. And it could have been that easy for you… good for these guys for working so hard!

• thepar

HEY THAT GREAT HE CAN BUY $10K worth of cocaine to shove up his nose!!

• Heather Nicole

Thats a horrible thing to say

• Mark Saltveit

“Lyerla posted the second fastest sprint among tight ends with a 4.61 second effort. The 6-foot-4, 242-pound Aloha native ranked behind only North Carolina’s Eric Ebron and Tennessee State’s A.C. Leonard.”
    Might want to check your math on “second.” LOL