Oregon softball: Ducks set season-high in runs with 14-3 win over Utah

Posted by Ryan Kostecka on Monday, Mar. 24 at 5:40 pm.

A day after tying its season-high in runs scored with 12, the Oregon softball team went out and broke that record in its series finale against Utah.

Kailee Cuico and Alexa Peterson were the stars on offense as Oregon (26-3, 3-0 Pac-12) accounted for 15 hits and 14 runs in its 14-3 win over Utah to sweep its opening Pac-12 series.

Although the duo combined to go just 3-for-5 in the game, Cuico and Peterson accounted for nine RBIs and three runs scored. Cuico herself chipped in six RBIs, tying Peterson for the most in a single game during the season thus far.

Oregon started the game with a run in the top of the first inning but Utah (11-12, 1-4) responded with a solo run in the bottom of the second inning to tie up the game.

The Ducks wasted no time in blowing the game open after that, scoring seven runs in the top of third inning on six hits with the help of one error by Utah.

Cuico blasted a grand slam to start the scoring and the Koral Costa followed that up with a solo home run to give the Ducks their first back-to-back home runs of the season. Sammie Puentes then stepped to the plate in just her second game this season and singled. Then she stole second base and moved to third on a passed ball. Puentes came around to score on a single by Nikki Udria and Courtney Ceo hit a triple to drive in Udria and complete the scoring in the inning.

The Utes got a run back in the bottom of the fourth to make the score 8-2 but the Ducks erupted for six more runs in the top of the fifth inning.

Costa led things off with her second home run of the game and Lexy Beaudrie-Pierson, pinch hitting for Janie Takeda, singled home another run. Peterson finished off her stellar weekend with a two-run double to right field, and Cuico finished off her game with a double to score the 13th and 14th runs of the game.

Cheridan Hawkins, Oregon’s pitcher for the game, gave up another run in the bottom of the fifth inning but the Ducks still had more than an eight-run lead — thus ending the game per the mercy rule.

Hawkins threw five innings and gave up five hits and three runs (one earned) while striking out 10.

Peterson ended her three-game series against Utah by going 6-for-7 (.857 batting average), four walks, five runs scored and 13 RBIs while four of her six hits went for extra bases.

The Ducks play again tomorrow against Southern Utah and BYU at 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. in Provo, Utah.

Follow Ryan Kostecka on Twitter @Ryan_Kostecka