Oregon baseball: Senior Connor Hofmann asks for release from team

Oregon centerfield Connor Hofmann keeps his eyes on the ball as he sprints towards second base during the top of the sixth inning, with the Ducks trying to score a run to tie up a 1-0 game against the Owls. The Ducks drop their second game of NCAA Regional play 1-0 to the Rice Owls at PK Park on Saturday, June 1st. They will play next on Sunday, June 2nd at 12pm PST in the hopes of staving off a double elimination. (Michael Arellano/Emerald archives)

Posted by Andrew Bantly on Tuesday, Mar. 25 at 6:51 pm.

Senior outfielder Connor Hofmann has asked for his release from the Oregon baseball team, according to head coach George Horton. The San Diego, Calif., native is in his fourth year with the Ducks.

Before his request for a release, Hofmann was hitting .222 (6-for-27) with five RBIs and two runs scored on the season.

“He has decided to move on,” Horton said after Tuesday’s 8-4 loss to San Francisco. “I haven’t even talked to him yet.”

Hofmann appeared in 11 games this season, starting in eight. He was the eighth place hitter in the lineup through eight starts which came against Hawaii, Loyola Marymount, Portland and Cal State Fullerton.

Hofmann was not included on the travel list before Oregon’s current 10-game road trip, which Horton noted after Tuesday’s loss.

“I know he asked for his release because he didn’t make the travel list,” Horton said. “We’ve had other athletes not make travel lists and wait their turn.”

Hofmann lost his spot in the outfield in large part to the success of freshman Austin Grebeck. Grebeck is hitting .270 on the season in the two spot of the lineup with nine RBIs and has yet to commit an error. Being on a team where outs are precious, Grebeck has 36 more at-bats than Hofmann does and has just one more strikeout (9).

Hofmann’s best year as a Duck came in 2012 where he finished the season with a .239 batting average, three home runs and 14 RBIs in 142 at bats.

Follow Andrew Bantly on Twitter @abant3

• SuckItUpCupcake

What a baby.

• Mike McCollom

No…thats baseball. Its a results driven sport. Skill and results trump age in playing time considerations. Connor may have the ability to catch on with a lower-level minors team and receive more playing time. More playing time will better allow him to improve as a ballplayer, where sitting on the Oregon bench will not. In this case the University would do good to thank him for his past service, release him and move on.

• Rick Cook

Hitting .222 does not define him as a person. Quitting on his team because he didn’t get something he wanted does.

• Elements of Truth

Connor, after 3 years of your life as an Oregon Duck, you should have been given the respect from the Coaching staff to showcase your talent this season. Note to all you High School and JC ballers…think twice about becoming a Duck.

• MLBlife

Yea that would totally suck to be a Senior in College and have the Coaches cut you off. Good to know what’s going on in Ducktown!