Oregon football: Brett Bafaro, Dylan Ausherman to leave the Ducks

Placekicker Dylan Ausherman shows off the ceremonial uniform for the green/away team prior to kickoff. The Oregon Ducks kick off the start to their 2013 football season with the annual Spring Game in Autzen Stadium, with players wearing military-inspired uniforms to honor the men and women of our nation's armed forces. (Michael Arellano/Emerald)

Posted by Joseph Hoyt on Thursday, Mar. 27 at 11:25 am.

With spring practices right around the corner, two backup players from last year’s Oregon football team have decided to leave.

According to GoDucks.com editor-in-chief Rob Moseley, punter Dylan Ausherman and linebacker Brett Bafaro will not return to the team for spring practices.

Ausherman and Bafaro aren’t the only players from last year’s team to announce that they’ll be leaving prior to spring workouts. Head coach Mark Helfrich confirmed last week that wide receiver Eric Dungy would explore the option of transferring from Oregon. ESPN reported that Dungy would likely transfer to South Florida.

Bafaro was going to be a redshirt sophomore with the Ducks this coming season. The 6-foot-2 linebacker attended Liberty High School in Hillsboro, Ore. Bafaro played in Oregon’s 55-16 rout of California last season.

Ausherman, who was entering his final season with the Ducks as a redshirt senior, attended El Diamante High School in Visalia, Calif.

Follow Joseph Hoyt on Twitter @jhoyt42

• perplexed

Ok people. Four players have left The Ducks in a very narrow window of time..Dungy Is transfering for real. And then 3 more. Bafaro and Ausherman and Lyerla. Ok now there IS a common denominator.This will be Four Players in Five Months; Somebody is not doing their job. Why arent the coaches and counselors and all the many support systems that UO has to offer not working? They were not able to save at least one of these guys. Think about it. They should have been trying to pull these guys back in and let them know they had value. With the new facility and all the bells and whistles and Nike// why would 4 boys quit the team in such a narrow window of time; right b4 spring practice? Plus the school Invested money and time into these guys in the form of free college for 4 years and it all goes down the drain; And yet they cant save a player that they invested in? Thats bad business. Obviously these boys felt they had no value to the team. So they let em walk out the door…Wow…

• goducks58

Sorry but that’s so reactionary and simple minded. Every school in the country has attrition, especially in the spring. At the level Oregon is now playing, more and more kids are going to realize they will be buried in the depth chart and will find more playing time somewhere else. I know this is new for Duck fans but having this kind of depth is great. It’s always sad to lose a member of the Duck family, but let’s wish them well and thank them for the things they’ve done.

• FIREHEADCOACHPLEASE

OH simple-minded? I know exactly wats goin on and this in reality has nothing to do with attrition FYI. Players only say those kinds of reason so they wont look bad; and they better too. They hv been around long enuff to knw wats really going on w the program…U DO NOT EVER BLAME THE PROGRAM OR the COACHES…they will ruin your football career with a snide smile on their face…I unlike you have actually provided some merit and light on this situation. All u can do is name call and DA DA DA BLAH BLAH…Wake Up goducks58. Your simple mind is gona look like an idiot within the next few months…and u know nothing at all. You Are just in the dark right now…so wait for the light to come on before u look stupid again…Im a Duck fan and have been for many years..Im sorry to see what Hell fridge is doing to the program…as far as your remark that my comments r reactionary; Ive been silently watching this happen since he became head coach…and you have been too ducked up to know the truth…Im not blaming the counselers or the support teams. Im saying that these 4 guys never even got to see that side of the building…They were kept away cause of media…

• goducks58

Thank you for proving my point for me. You are the epitome of a reactionary and a terrible Duck fan. As for the name calling, that never happened. I said your comments were. But after this last post of yours, you’ve proven yourself to be both. As for tenure as a Duck fan or intellect, I’ll happily compare with you and I guarantee you will be on the short end of both. The Oregon program doesn’t need fair weather fans like you.

• FIREHEADCOACHPLEASE

Your right. They dont need fans like me. I dont pray to a Duck God every night. Im actually on the players side. My “tenure as a duck fan”. Omg do u bring your books to the games Phil Donahue wanna be. How can you speak about your intellect when everything you say is so narrow minded. Ignorance is bliss when your a duck fan with tenure. You really need to relax Phil.

• goducks58

Yep, just keep trolling and proving me right. You obviously didn’t graduate from Oregon, or on the minuscule chance that you did, you somehow skipped English class. You don’t know me nor my take on Oregon athletics. To give you a hint (before you have another overreaction) I love the Ducks but am not even close to being a homer. You on the other hand proved over and over again that you have zero clue what you purport to speak to. Your handle says everything. One 11 – 2 season and you call for the head coach’s firing. True, Helfrich did struggle against Stanford and there was no excuse for the Arizona loss, but your overreaction speaks volumes as to the small minded person you are. Hope you have a frustrating time watching the Ducks. And by all means, keep providing the humor that your idiocy delivers to the Emerald readers. You are hilarious.