Oregon track and field: Ducks sweep Arizona in Pepsi Dual meet

Oregon redshirt senior Mac Fleet claps his hands as he finishes in first place for the men's 1500 meter run. Fleet finished with a final time of 3:44.04. The University of Oregon hosts the Pepsi-Arizona Dual at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore., on April 5, 2014 (Ryan Kang/Emerald)

Posted by Christopher Keizur on Saturday, Apr. 5 at 3:27 pm.

Oregon track and field went head-to-head with Arizona Saturday in the Pepsi Dual meet at Hayward Field.

Wearing throwback uniforms, both the Oregon men and women were able to defeat the Wildcats, with the final scores of 114-47 and 101-52 respectively.

The headline going into the meet was the men’s 1,500, which featured two of the fastest runners in college this year: Oregon’s Mac Fleet and Arizona’s Lawi Lalang. The race came down to the wire after Lalang led for most of the way with Fleet right on his heels. As the two runners rounded the Bowerman curve, Fleet made his move, passing Lalang on the final straightaway. Fleet won the race with a time of 3:44.04 with Lalang crossing the line right behind him with a time of 3:44.79.

“It is always about getting the win,” Fleet said after the race, “which is difficult against an athlete of his caliber.”

The hammer throw for both the men and women were also strong events for the Ducks.

The women were able to sweep the hammer throw, with Jillian Weir finishing first (200-06), followed by Brittany Mann (188-00) and Lauren Sens (168-11). Mann’s second place throw was a personal best.

For the men Greg Skipper also performed well, throwing for personal records on all six of his throws, including his winning mark of 231-06. That throw was also a meet record for the Ducks.

“It went well I think,” Skipper said. “I am really happy and excited for the season. Today was awesome, but we are also excited for what’s to come.”

Close finishes marked several of the sprints.

In the women’s 100 meters Jenna Prandini edged out teammate Jasmine Todd by .04 seconds to win the race with a time of 11.42.

The men’s 400 meters the race came down to the wire between Oregon’s Mike Berry and Marcus Chambers. Berry won the race with a time of 46.82 and Chambers finished second with a time of 47.63.

One race that wasn’t close was the women’s 200 meters as Oregon’s Phyllis Francis looked dominant in the race. Francis won with a final time of 22.82, as there was plenty of breathing room between her and the rest of the field.

The women’s javelin was another event that Oregon was able to sweep, with Haley Crouser winning with a final throw of 164-05. Liz Brenner came in second while Rachel Sherrell finished third.

“Being here, it’s just a different experience,” Crouser said. “The Oregon crowd just loves the Ducks, so it is really fun.”

Check here for an entire list of results from the meet.

The next meet on the schedule for the Ducks is the Oregon Relays, which will take place at Hayward Field beginning April 17.

Follow Chris Keizur on Twitter @chriskeizur