No. 1 Oregon softball run-rules Oregon State to earn series-clinching win

Posted by Ryan Kostecka on Sunday, Apr. 13 at 5:01 pm.

A day after Oregon softball had to come from behind and hold off Oregon State to earn the win, the Ducks made sure that once they got the lead, the Beavers would never come close.

Four different Ducks had two RBIs each as Oregon run-ruled the Beavers 10-2 in six innings.

Koral Costa had a game of twos in which she went 2-for-2 with two RBIs and two runs scored while Sammie Puentes went 2-for-3 with two RBIs and a run scored.

Karissa Hovinga was the star in the pitcher’s circle for the Ducks as she threw a complete game four-hitter, giving up just two runs while striking out three.

The game started off well for Oregon State as it took a 1-0 lead on a solo home run in the bottom of the first inning, the second straight day it’s drawn first blood from the Ducks.

After a scoreless second inning, the Ducks exploded for seven runs in the third.

With two outs, Alexa Peterson singled with a 3-2 count to start the rally. Kailee Cuico then singled followed by a Janelle Lindvall walk to load the bases for Costa. Costa drove a single to center field to score Peterson and Cuico and then Puentes followed suit with a single to score Lindvall.

After Nikki Udria came to the plate next and singled to score Costa, Courntey Ceo singled to drive in Puentes and Udria. Alyssa Gillespie completed the scoring for the inning when she followed Ceo’s single with a double of her own that scored Ceo.

The score remained 7-1 entering the sixth inning when the Ducks added on three more runs.

Cuico got the rally started by drawing a two-out walk that brought up Lindvall and she didn’t disappoint. Lindvall drove a 1-0 pitch over the left center field fence to put the score at 9-1 and have the run-rule in effect. Puentes added the final run for Oregon when she doubled to left center field and score Costa.

The Beavers were able to rally for just one run in the bottom of the sixth inning.

Oregon and Oregon State meet for the final time this season in conference play Monday at 3 p.m. in Corvallis.

Follow Ryan Kostecka on Twitter @Ryan_Kostecka