UO Climate Change Symposium on Wednesday, April 16th

Posted by Rebecca Brewster on Tuesday, Apr. 15 at 11:57 am.

The third annual Climate Change Research Symposium will be held tomorrow, April 16, in the EMU Fir Room from 8:30 – 4:30 p.m.  It is free and open to the public and features 52 UO presenters.

“Faculty and students here are doing research on numerous aspects of climate change, helping to deepen our understanding of the physical, biological and social facets of this problem,” said Ronald Mitchell, the symposium organizer and UO political science professor in a press release. “The symposium is a great opportunity to learn about cutting-edge research into the causes of climate change, the impact it’s likely to have and what we can do to avert some of those impacts or adapt to those we can’t avert.”

Kate Larsen will give the keynote speech from 12 – 1 p.m. on “Climate Change Negotiations: An Insider’s Perspective.” She is the director for climate change at the New York-based Rhodium Group and the former deputy associate director for energy and climate change at the White House Council on Environmental Quality.

At 4:30 p.m., there will be a roundtable discussion on “Promises and Pitfalls of Teaching Climate Change in the Classroom.” Alan Dickman, a UO associate professor of biology, will be the moderator. Participants include students from “The Cultures of Climate Change” class, which was recently featured in The New York Times.

Other speech topics include climate change from the perspective of the law, philosophy, geography, and politics.  A full schedule and description of the symposium is at http://climatechange.uoregon.edu/.

There is a reception at 6 p.m. in the Museum of Natural and Cultural History where attendees can preview the museum’s new exhibit about climate change, called “Explore Oregon!” The museum is located at 1680 E 15th Ave.