Brittany Mann talks Oregon track season goals and being part of ‘solid group of young throwers’

Oregon redshirt freshman Brittany Mann launches the shot put in the women's shot putt competition. Mann set a new record and finished first with a final throw of 16.27 meters. The University of Oregon hosts the Oregon Preview at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore. on March 22, 2014. (Ryan Kang/Emerald)

Posted by Christopher Keizur on Wednesday, Apr. 16 at 4:15 pm.

Oregon track and field redshirt freshman thrower Brittany Mann took time away from celebrating her 20th birthday to talk to members of the media about her season so far Wednesday afternoon.

Happy birthday, by the way.

“Thank you. I’ve been carrying these balloons around with me all day and people have been yelling at me.”

You’ve had a pretty good season. Could you just talk about that and what’s been working?

“Its been exciting to be able to finally put on the Oregon uniform and join the track and field program as a Duck. Its been a learning process, indoor season was really good to see where I am and where I need to go. To build from that, being able to go straight from indoor to outdoor I saw what I didn’t like about my throws and what I didn’t like about how I was competing and I got to change it. It’s been more than I hoped for, I can’t wait to build off of it and keep growing … Help establish an Oregon throws team.”

Is that something that was important to you, to help establish the Oregon throws team again?

“Whenever you hear Oregon you think sprinters and distance. We have a solid group of young throwers and we are going to be a topic of conversation in the coming years. We are going to help Oregon become a whole program.”

Are you comfortable with your progression?

“For outdoors yes. For indoors it was a little shaky, but it was good to go from there. I have been going into every meet trying to be focused, calm and to go out and execute what I know I can do. I know there is always room for improvement, but its been going good.”

Is the improvement through the work you have done, or have you just become more confident as the season has gone on?

“It’s been a little bit of both. I’ve started to find what has been working for me, being more comfortable in the ring and being more comfortable with the kind of thrower I am, its been a combination of everything. Now it’s all coming together.”

Have you set goals for yourself this season?

“I want to qualify for regionals for Pac-12, hopefully qualify for nationals, maybe set a school record along the way — which is always an added bonus. You always go in having goals and expectations on yourself. Coach Johnson always talks about the process, being a part of it and being able to see the progress that you want. So I definitely have goals, but overall I just want to see progress and make sure I help our team in any way that I can.”

Follow Chris Keizur on Twitter @chriskeizur