Oregon track and field off to a strong start at Oregon Relays, lead decathlon and heptathlon

Junior Dakotah Keys prepares to throw during the shot put event during the mens decathlon. Keys finished the event in first place with a final throw distance of 13.65 meters. University of Oregon hosts the Oregon relays at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore., from April 17-April 19, 2014. (Michael Shaw/Emerald)

Posted by Christopher Keizur on Thursday, Apr. 17 at 5:24 pm.

The first day of the Oregon Relays is in the books after athletes from both Oregon and Wichita State competed in the decathlon and heptathlon at Historic Hayward Field.

At the end of the day Oregon’s Lauren Crockett led the women’s competition with 3,233 points while teammate Daphne Chambers finished just behind her in second with 3,193 points. On the men’s side All-American Dakotah Keys leads with 4,110 points.

The weather was an issue throughout as constant rain affected the meet. The high jump had to be moved under the west grandstand and meet officials had to use leaf blowers to clear the water off the shot put rings.

“It would have been nice if it was a little warmer,” Keys said after the day one’s conclusion.”But there is no excuses with the rain any more, especially after Ashton (Eaton) set a world record in it.”

Oregon had four men competing in the decathlon and two women competing in the heptathlon. The meet was the season debut in the decathlon for Keys while both of the Duck women, junior Crockett and sophomore Chambers, were first time competitors in the heptathlon. Wichita State traveled with three decathletes and four heptathletes.

The first event of the day was the women’s 100 meter hurdles. In a race that was split into two heats, it was Wichita State’s Gavyn Yetter who won the event with a personal best time of 14.36. Crockett came in a close second with a final time of 14.40.

In the ensuing event, Oregon was able to sweep the men’s 100 meters. Freshman Mitch Modin and sophomore Alec Fellows tied for first (11.07) while Keys finished third (11.13), respectively.

Keys won the decathlon long jump with a personal record of 7.27 meters. Modin finished second with a jump of 7.08 meters.

The Ducks also won the women’s heptathlon high jump as Crockett finished first with a jump of 1.82 meters. Wichita State’s Jaclyn Abrahamain came in second with a jump of 1.67 meters.

Both the men and women’s shot put were strong events for the Ducks. For the men Oregon swept the event with Keys finishing first (13.65 meters), Modin finishing second (12.85 meters) and Blake Kemp finishing third (12.51 meters). Keys’ throw was a personal record in the shot put. On the women’s side, Chambers won the event, throwing for a personal record of her own with a distance of 13.39 meters.

The final woman’s event of the day was the 200 meters. Yetter, of Wichita State, won the race with a time of 25.25. Oregon’s Chambers came in second place, crossing the line at 25.96.

Finally, the men took to the track one last time to compete in the 400 meters. Fellows was able to win the race, finishing with a personal record of 48.63 seconds.

Keys was content with his results after a strenuous first day.

“I am going to get some grub and rest,” Keys said of his plans. “I am looking forward to tomorrow, won’t be too early of a start, so it should be good.”

Both the decathlon and heptathlon will conclude tomorrow as the Oregon Relays continue. The first event is scheduled to begin at noon.

Follow Chris Keizur on Twitter @chriskeizur