Oregon throwers dominate day two at Oregon Relays

A trio of runners leap over the water jump obstacle during the men's 3000 meter steeplechase. The University of Oregon hosts the Oregon relays at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore. from April 17 through April 19, 2014.  (Ryan Kang/Emerald)

A trio of runners leap over the water jump obstacle during the men's 3000 meter steeplechase. The University of Oregon hosts the Oregon relays at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore. from April 17 through April 19, 2014. (Ryan Kang/Emerald)

Posted by Christopher Keizur on Friday, Apr. 18 at 8:12 pm.

Day two of the Oregon Relays concluded Friday at Historic Hayward Field with plenty of strong showings from Oregon’s athletes.

“Good first overall day from the Oregon Relays,” Oregon head coach Robert Johnson said. “Some good marks.”

The event of the day was the women’s 800, which featured a very competitive field. Representing Oregon was sophomore Claudia Francis and senior Sarah Penney. Two Oregon Track Club members, Shannon Leinert and Oregon alum Anne Kesselring were also competing as was eventual winner Kate Grace with Oiselle.

Grace led the race wire-to-wire, finishing first (2:04.52). Christina Rodgers of Spirit of Oregon finished second (2:05.33), while Kesselring finished third (2:05.57).

“My first victory at Hayward field, so that was exciting,” Grace said.

The day started with the conclusion of the multi-events, the decathlon and heptathlon. Going into the day two Oregon athletes held the lead, Dakotah Keys in the decathlon and Lauren Crockett in the heptathlon. Keys was able to extend his lead, not only winning the event, but also setting a new personal record and tying for the fourth best result in Oregon history with 8,027 points. For the women, Wichita State’s Breanne Borman won the event with 5,269 points, while Oregon’s Daphne Chambers finished second with 5,251.

Once again, the Oregon throwers had impressive showings.

“It’s just one of those things where we are continuing to build,” Johnson said of the throwers’ performances. “I don’t think we are doing anything special; we are just trying to gear them to be ready to go later in the season.”

Junior Jillian Weir won the women’s hammer throw with a throw of 59.93 meters, beating out second place finisher Hayli Bozarth of Boise State.

Oregon junior Sam Crouser won the men’s javelin with a final mark of 75.40 meters. Washington’s Quinn Hale finished second with a throw of 69.84 meters.

“On my last throw I managed to throw 247 feet,” Crouser said. “I was pretty happy with that.”

Brittany Mann won the shot put with a throw of 50-8.25 feet.

Bridget Franek, running for Nike OTC Elite, won the women’s 3000 meter steeple chase with a time of 9:56.72, a meet record.

“I just wanted it to be a little rust buster,” Franek said after the race. “I haven’t run the steeple since last year. It’s like riding a bike for me, just trying to get back into the rhythm of things.”

Two Duck juniors finished in the top five of the men’s 200 meters. Arthur Delaney won the event with a time of 21.05, while teammate Jack Galpin came in fifth place with a time of 21.77.

Click here for a complete list of results from day two at the Oregon Relays.

The Oregon Relays will conclude Saturday, with the top event set to be a highly competitive men’s 5,000 featuring Oregon freshman Edward Cheserek.

Follow Chris Keizur on Twitter @chriskeizur