Oregon freshman Edward Cheserek shines in final day of Oregon Relays

Oregon freshman Edward Cheserek and Junior Eric Jenkins cross the line in first and second, respectively, in the 5,000 meter race. Cheserek finished with a time of 13:46.77 and Jenkins crossed the line just after him with a time of 13:46.80. The University of Oregon hosts the Oregon Relays at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore., from April 17-April 19, 2014. (Michael Shaw/Emerald)

Posted by Christopher Keizur on Saturday, Apr. 19 at 9:17 pm.

Edward Cheserek finally ran as a Duck at Historic Hayward Field on the final day of the Oregon Relays.

The freshman distance runner competed as part of the field in the Bill McChesney Jr. memorial 5,000 meters.

Cheserek is already very decorated in his short time as a Duck. He was the NCAA Cross Country Champion, Pac-12 Cross Country Runner of the Year and the Pac-12 Newcomer of the Year.

The field in the 5,000 meters was stacked with plenty of strong runners. Alongside Cheserek was All-American transfer Eric Jenkins and Oregon alum Luke Puskedra. Another Oregon alum Matthew Centrowitz ran as a rabbit in the race.

As the runners were announced, there was a huge roar from the 7,322 fans in attendance when Cheserek’s name was announced.

“It’s a really good place to run,” Cheserek said. “This was so great.”

Centrowitz paced the race for the first 3,200 meters, setting up a fast pace for the rest of the field. Cheserek ran well for much of the way, staying stride for stride with teammate Jenkins the entire race.

“I told him let’s just run together,” Cheserek said.

The two stayed together right until the final moment, when both crossed the finish line at nearly the same time. Cheserek was awarded first with a time of 13:46.77, while Jenkins ran a 13:46.80. Cheserek’s time was a new lifetime best.

The 5,000 wasn’t the only strong race for Oregon as the final day of the relays was a successful one for the Ducks.

“The conclusion of the Oregon Relays was absolutely outstanding,” head coach Robert Johnson said.

Both the Oregon men and women looked strong in the 400 meters. Ducks freshman Marcus Chambers won the men’s race, finishing with a season best time of 46.88 seconds. Teammate Jack Galpin finished second with a time of 48.14. For the women it was freshman Ashante Horsley of the Ducks who was able to barely fight off the field to win a close race, crossing the line in 55.51 seconds.

The men’s 4×100 meter relay team consisting of Dior Mathis, Arthur Delaney, Galpin and Chambers had a relatively easy finish. They led for most of the race and had clean exchanges in route to a first place time of 40.67 seconds.

Freshman Devon Allen won the men’s 100-meter dash, crossing the line in 10.55. Moments later, Allen, who’s also a wide receiver on the football team, competed in the men’s 110-meter high hurdles, winning again with a time of 13.73.

“Devon Allen keeps surprising,” Johnson said. “He is probably beat up moreso than anyone else out here on the oval today, and to come out here and do what he did is pretty outstanding.”

Centrowitz won the men’s 1,500 with a time of 3:41.85, the third fastest time for an American this year.

“I just wanted to sit in there and compete,” Centrowitz said. “I wasn’t looking for a fast time.”

The Ducks were also able to pick up wins in the field events as well.

Sophomore Matt Hidalgo won the men’s pole vault with a final mark of 5.20 meters, while senior Laura Bobek won the women’s discuss, throwing for 50.83 meters.

The next home meet for the Ducks will be the Oregon Twilight on May 9.

Click here for a complete list of results for all three days of the Oregon Relays.

Follow Chris Keizur on Twitter @chriskeizur