Oregon track and field impresses in men’s distance medley relay at the Penn Relays

Posted by Christopher Keizur on Saturday, Apr. 26 at 4:12 pm.

Billed as one of the most exciting meets in track and field, the Penn Relays feature the world’s best athletes at Franklin Field to compete in the three-day event.

Oregon track and field was represented at the meet in seven relays and one individual event.

The highlight of the meet came on Friday for the Ducks, when the men’s distance medley relay team won the event with the fastest time in school history and the seventh-fastest time in NCAA history. The team consisted of Mac Fleet running the 1,200, Mike Berry running the 400, Boru Guyota running the 800 and star freshman Edward Cheserek running the mile.

Cheserek ran the final leg of the event, starting in second place behind Stanford after the efforts of his teammates. The freshman ran steadily for most of the way before unleashing a brutal kick in the final 300 meters to pull away from the field. Cheserek crossed the line in first place with a time of 9:24.40.

The splits for the Ducks were Fleet (2:53.95), Berry (44.72), Guyota (1:48.77) and Cheserek (3:57.98).

Another Oregon record was set on Friday in the women’s 4×100. Marybeth Sant, Phyllis Francis, Jenna Prandini and Jasmine Todd ran the fastest time in school history at the Penn Relays, finishing second in 43.33. The Ducks lost to six-time consecutive champion Texas A&M.

The first championship event that the Ducks competed in was the women’s distance medley relay on Thursday afternoon. The Oregon team consisted of Megan Patrignelli, Chizoba Okodogbe, Samantha Murphy and Laura Roesler. The Ducks finished fifth in 11:06.89.

Sasha Wallace was the lone individual competitor for Oregon at the meet, competing in the women’s 100 meter hurdles on Saturday. The freshman finished eighth, with a time of 13.85.

The Oregon women placed second in the 4×800 behind Villanova, finishing with a time of 8:22.54. Claudia Francis, Murphy, Annie Leblanc and Roesler ran the event.

Fleet and Cheserek were a part of another winning team on Saturday, this time racing in the 4xMile. The two, alongside Sam Prakel and Eric Jenkins, won with a time of 16:09.67.

The final two races of the day were the men and women’s 4×400 relays. The women finished second (3:29.82) behind Texas while the men finished third (3:06.51).

Click here for a complete results list from all three days of the Penn Relays.

The next meet on the schedule for Oregon is the OSU High Performance meet on May 2.

Follow Christopher Keizur on Twitter @chriskeizur