President Gottfredson to appoint an Interim Athletic Advisory Council

Posted by Troy Brynelson on Tuesday, Apr. 29 at 11:25 pm.

President Gottfredson announced today his intention to create a new, interim committee to oversee the university’s athletic department.

“It has become necessary for me to appoint an advisory group to provide advice and recommendations on intercollegiate athletic issues,” Gottfredson said via email to faculty senate president Margie Paris. “As you know, the chair of the University Senate’s Intercollegiate Athletics Committee (IAC), has made this recommendation.”

In the email, Gottfredson mentions that the primary goals of the group are to advise, and this measure is just in the interim until the faculty senate decides what to do with the IAC, and that he “invites nominations” for members of the new committee from the senate.

“It is critical that the university have an advisory group, one that operates such that all members can participate in an environment free of the numerous problems the chair clearly identifies in his report to the senate,” Gottfredson said in the email

The IAC has been hamstrung by infighting for most of the year, the majority of the disagreements stemming from confusion over whether the committee has the right to serve as a watchdog group or rather act as a sounding board for the athletic department. The committee’s current chair, UO law professor Rob Illig, reported to the faculty senate on April 9 that the committee was a house divided and recommended that a second committee be created.

“Because it is trying to do both, it is accomplishing neither,” Illig said in the report.

While the email mentions nothing about dismantling the IAC in its current form, the move seems to aim to create another committee to effectively supplant the IAC — which hasn’t met since Feb. 27 — and wrest the committee’s main function as the main line of communication between the athletic department and the university at large.

• uomatters

I’m expecting that the UO Senate will start discussing how to react to this power grab at its meeting today, 3PM in 175 Law. Meanwhile there’s more info here: http://www.uomatters.com/2014/04/president-gottfredson-dismantles-the-uo-senate-intercollegiate-athletics-committee.html

• Sports righter

Sure wish you would cover OS too so we see how much better off the U of O is compared to the financial robbery by the OS President in funding the AD from the school’s General fund and academic foundation money. Oh well we have it so bad off at Oregon

• Sports righter

oh and a reminder UO; the Ad does not get money from the UofO to help cover Title IX expenses and has given money back to the general fund several times…how does that compare to OS or PSU? I think Oregon is already being held to a higher standard (with discriminatory funding to boot) by the legislature, the OUS and and ODofHE and has been for over a decade.

• Sports righter

It would be great to see this committee with a facality member or two, a male and female student-athlete, a male and female non-student athlete, a rep from the AD, Presidents office, the pit crew, and the book store.

When a member does have an identifable agenda; he/she should make sure the public and the committee know and understand it. Maybe that will create a good working group.

• Sports righter

What
    the
    university
    really

needs
    ,
    then,
    is
    a
    group
    of
    faculty
    who
    have

foremost
    in
    their

minds
    the
    welfare
    of
    the
    student
    -­‐
    athletes
    as
    students
    and
    the
    welfare
    of
    the
    university’s

larger
    reputation.

These
    individuals
    must
    insert
    themselves
    into
    the
    student
    -­‐
    athlete

experience
    and
    learn
    what
    is
    really
    going
    on,
    day
    -­‐
    to
    -­‐
    day,
    at
    the
    level
    of
    the
    student
    -­‐athletes”

You mean the UofO facality does not already do this? and do this for all students?

• Sports righter

sorry you cannot copy and paste to this site from the PDF provided; which in a limited scope appears bad, but if you apply it to the mission of the entire school This school fails to meet the needs of a greater number of students and the AD with it’s NCAA scholarships provide better to the student Athlete. Let’s look at the academic scholarships given to the general student body from various departments.

This is an agenda driven problem and does not meet in my minds the attention when other general population problems and poor state funding are not being discussed with the same intensity. UofO must now tell us why this school should be treated differently than the other OUS schools and the likenesses and differences between UofO, OS, and PSU in how these schools, their AD’s and financing are handled!! Till then you need to tread lightly with agenda driven politics