Current and former Ducks compete at Payton Jordan Invitational

Posted by Christopher Keizur on Sunday, May. 4 at 9:54 pm.

Several members of Oregon track and field traveled down to Stanford, California to compete in the 19th annual Payton Jordan Invitational.

The Ducks sent a small contingent of runners to the meet, which featured multiple athletes from around the nation. As well as current collegiate athletes, there was a collection of elite American and International pros, including several former Oregon stars.

One interesting aspect of the meet was that because there were so many athletes competing on the track, events were broken into multiple sections. This resulted in large fields of competitors, like the men’s 5000, which featured an 87-man field.

Senior distance runner Parker Stinson, who competed in the 5000, led the Ducks into the meet. Competing alongside him was former Oregon runner and current member of Nike Oregon Project, Matthew Centrowitz.

Stinson ran well against a strong field, finishing 21st with a time of 13:45.62. Centrowitz finished ninth with a time of 13:20.06. Ben True of Saucony, who ended with a final time of 13:02.74, won the event.

Sarah Penney and Megan Patrignelli recorded two personal records in the women’s 1500 and 3000 meter steeplechase, respectively.

Penney ran a time of 4:17.85 while finishing fifth in her section of the 1500, while Patrignelli finished the steeplechase with a time of 10:03.07. Patrignelli’s time was not only the third fastest in Oregon history, but also places her eighth in the NCAA this season.

Former Duck Anne Kesselring also competed in the women’s 1500 for the Oregon Track Club. Kesselring crossed the line in 4:14.33, finishing third in her section.

Tanguy Pepiot, the Oregon junior from Besancon, France, had a strong showing in the men’s 3000 meter steeplechase, finishing eighth in his section. His time of 8:43.24 places him seventh in the NCAA this season.

The next meet on the schedule for Oregon will find them back in the friendly confines of Historic Hayward Field when they will host the Oregon Twilight meet Friday.

Follow Chris Keizur on Twitter @chriskeizur