Oregon football’s Rahim Cassell arrested for DUI Sunday morning

Oregon sophomore linebacker Rahim Cassell (34) runs out to the field right before kickoff. The No. 6 Oregon Ducks play the Utah Utes at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Ore. on Nov. 16, 2013. (AndrewSeng/Emerald)

Posted by Victor Flores and Hayden Kim on Monday, May. 5 at 11:31 am.

Oregon linebacker Rahim Cassell was arrested by Eugene Police Sunday morning around 1 a.m. for driving under the influence, Eugene Police spokeswoman Melinda McLaughlin confirmed Monday morning. McLaughlin said Cassell’s vehicle was impounded and he was likely cited and released.

The arrest occurred on E. 13th Ave. and Hilyard St. A party patrol officer saw Cassell’s car speeding and changing lanes without using its signal, prompting the officer to pull Cassell over and cite him.

Cassell, a redshirt junior from Lakewood, California, played in all 13 games during the 2013 season as a backup linebacker. He finished the year with 32 total tackles, included 13 unassisted, while also forcing and recovering a fumble. His best game so far as a Duck came against Stanford, when he recorded six tackles (two solo) in Oregon’s 26-20 loss.

During the 2014 spring game, Cassell recorded four tackles, including two solo. He made the first defensive play of the game by forcing running back Thomas Tyner out of bounds in the first quarter of play.

He recorded the first sack of his career in the 2013 Civil War against Oregon State while also forcing a fumble. Additionally, he recovered his first fumble against Nicholls State in 2013.

UPDATE: Mark Helfrich’s released a statement regarding the incident:

“We are aware of the situation and continue to gather information. We have a high standard of accepted behavior for our student-athletes that will not be compromised. Once we have a complete determination of the facts, we will take appropriate steps,” Helfrich said in the statement.

Emerald sports reporter Jonathan Hawthorne contributed to the reporting of this story.

Follow Hayden Kim on Twitter @HayDayKim