Oregon issues statement saying it first learned of rape allegations March 9

Oregon guard Damyean Dotson (21) charges into the paint on his way to the basket during the first half. The Oregon Ducks play the Oregon State Beavers in the Pac-12 Men's Basketball Tournament at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nev. on March 12, 2014. (Michael Shaw/Emerald)

Posted by Ian Campbell on Tuesday, May. 6 at 8:52 pm.

The University of Oregon issued a statement declaring it knew of the rape allegations involving Damyean Dotson, Dominic Artis and Brandon Austin on March 9, three days before playing in the Pac-12 tournament.

Tobin Klinger, the senior director of public affairs communications released a statement Tuesday night.

“The University of Oregon first learned of the allegations from the alleged victim’s father on March 9, as reported in the released police report. Upon receiving information such as this, the university’s procedures are to immediately provide services and support. Prior to the NCAA Tournament, the Eugene Police Department told the university that if it took investigative or administrative action, it would jeopardize the integrity of the criminal investigation and, therefore, requested that the university not take action at that time. The university received the police report on April 24, after the criminal investigation was complete and the District Attorney declined to prosecute. Due to Federal privacy laws, the university cannot provide further details regarding its actions at this time.”

Both Dotson and Artis played in the first round of the Pac-12 tournament against Oregon State on March 12. They both played for 23 minutes for the Ducks in an 88-74 win.

The athletic department would not comment on when it was made aware of the allegations.

Follow Ian Campbell on Twitter @MrCampbell17

• uomatters

Despite UO’s claim, federal privacy laws do not prevent UO from providing “further details”. From the ed.gov website:

As discussed in the 2001 Guidance, if the complainant continues to ask that his or her name or

other identifiable information not be revealed, the school should evaluate that request in the
    context of its responsibility to provide a safe and nondiscriminatory environment for all
    students. Thus, the school may weigh the request for confidentiality against the following
    factors: the seriousness of the alleged harassment; the complainant’s age; whether there have
    been other harassment complaints about the same individual; and the alleged harasser’s rights
    to receive information about the allegations if the information is maintained by the school as an
    “education record” under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), 20 U.S.C.
    § 1232g; 34 C.F.R. Part 99.
    15

The school should inform the complainant if it cannot ensure
    confidentiality. Even if the school cannot take disciplinary action against the alleged harasser
    because the complainant insists on confidentiality, it should pursue other steps to limit the
    effects of the alleged harassment and prevent its recurrence. Examples of such steps are
    discussed later in this letter.

• Hyacinth Smith

Things must be given clarity before saying something let us responsible in all thing so that there will be no misunderstanding. So let us be safe always join us to this protection and security http://bit.ly/1nctEuL.

• Calvin Sanders

I am a father of two lovely daughters. Both go to high school. It worries me that they might encounter this activity since I don’t have the capability to be with them all the time. Me and my wife both go to work almost everyday. That is why I have this application downloaded on our phones. In case of an emergency, my children will just press the panic button. Then they will be connected to a response center that answers and gives help to you 24/7. This can be escalated to your nearest 911 station. Me, along with my wife and close friends as my children’s safety network, will be notified also through text message or a conference call . This app certainly helps me since I am slightly busy with my work. Me and my wife worry lesser now. This can lessen yours too. Just visit their site to know more about this: http://safekidzone.com/#!/page_home