UO athletic director Rob Mullens and vice president for Student Affairs Robin Holmes release statement regarding alleged sexual assault

Athletic Director Rob Mullens speaks to the press in a conference held at the Casanova Center shortly after the NCAA released its sanctions on the University of Oregon's football program on June 26, 2013. (Ryan Kang/Emerald)

Posted by Victor Flores on Tuesday, May. 6 at 12:56 pm.

University of Oregon athletic director Rob Mullens and Vice President for Student Affairs Robin Holmes released a statement Tuesday regarding Monday’s police report that alleged Oregon men’s basketball players were involved in a sexual assault. This is the first statement from the athletic department since it was announced Monday morning that the three players — Damyean Dotson, Dominic Artis and Brandon Austin — were no longer participating in team activities.

Mullins and Holmes address criticisms aimed at the university regarding the timeliness of Dotson, Artis and Austin’s suspension. The statement indicates that university administrators began investigating immediately, but that law enforcement agencies often request a delay on action in order to avoid interference in open cases.

Tuesday’s statement reads:

“The University of Oregon takes all student misconduct that threatens the safety of our students very seriously. We have a clear obligation and responsibility to act in a way that protects all members of our campus community, and our first priority is always to ensure the safety and support of our students.

“Questions have arisen regarding the timeliness of the university’s involvement in the matter reported about University of Oregon basketball. Law enforcement agencies often request that the university wait to take action in order to avoid interference with an open criminal investigation. We responded accordingly in this situation. In all cases we begin investigating immediately, and aggressively address situations in accordance with the law, our internal code of conduct, and our commitment and obligation to protect and support our students.”