UO President Michael Gottfredson releases secondary statement on alleged sexual assault

Presidential finalist Michael Gottfredson met with the press and took a tour of campus on June 15, 2012. (Michael Arellano/Emerald archives)

Posted by Victor Flores on Tuesday, May. 6 at 12:02 pm.

University of Oregon President Michael Gottfredson released a statement Tuesday morning regarding a Eugene Police report indicating that three Oregon men’s basketball players — Damyean Dotson, Dominic Artis and Brandon Austin — were allegedly involved in a sexual assault in March.

Gottfredson’s statement reads:

“The report of sexual violence affecting our community is of deep concern to me, as it is to all of us. The University of Oregon takes such reports extremely seriously. As a residential campus, a close community of students, faculty, and staff, supporting our students and protecting their safety is our highest priority.

“I am deeply troubled by the information contained in the police report released yesterday by the Eugene Police Department. The university has rigorous internal conduct processes that we follow when we receive a report such as this, as well as legal processes and a moral commitment to our students. We share a responsibility to provide a safe learning environment for our students, a responsibility I take very seriously.”

Tuesday’s statement follows a preliminary statement published through University spokeswoman Julie Brown Monday evening following the release of the police report.