Dakotah Keys talks Pac-12 Championships

Oregon junior Dakotah Keys gets ready to throw the discus in the men's decathlon discus throw. Keys finished first in the event with a final throw of 37.15 meters. The University of Oregon hosts the Oregon relays at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore. from April 17 through April 19, 2014.  (Ryan Kang/Emerald)

Oregon junior Dakotah Keys gets ready to throw the discus in the men's decathlon discus throw. Keys finished first in the event with a final throw of 37.15 meters. The University of Oregon hosts the Oregon relays at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore. from April 17 through April 19, 2014. (Ryan Kang/Emerald)

Posted by Christopher Keizur on Friday, May. 9 at 12:00 pm.

Oregon decathlete Dakohta Keys spoke with members of the media after practice Wednesday to discuss competing in the upcoming multi-event section of the Pac-12 Championships this weekend as well as his year as a whole.

What do you expect out of yourself at the Pac-12’s?

“I guess just a good effort. I really just want to go in confident and stay relaxed like I did at the Oregon Relays. Hopefully the three of us can start a fire for when we go back up there with the team the following week.”

How do you build upon your performance at the Relays?

“Just confidence, that’s all that really was. Just a big confidence booster coming right after the Indoor Nationals. I wasn’t quite expecting it so it allowed me to stay relaxed. I can go in, maybe PR, and get a good meet out of it.”

You mentioned your health, how is it right now?

“No injuries at all, so that’s a good thing. I want to carry that through to Nationals, trying to just stay healthy through this meet.”

Are there events that you are focusing on?

“As a decathlete you have to find what you can get the most points out of. So the hurdles, discuss and pole vault are places I can get points. I think if I can go in there and do that I should have a pretty good score.”

You have brought up confidence quite a bit, are you as confident as you have ever been going into a big meet like this?

“I just have found myself being more relaxed. That probably has something to do with me being here now for four years. I finally just feel like I am part of it and I can contribute. I’ve got the team behind me, which is always nice.”

Follow Christopher Keizur on Twitter @chriskeizur