De’Anthony Thomas selected by Kansas City Chiefs in fourth round of NFL draft

Oregon junior running back De'Anthony Thomas (6) warms up along the sidelines. The No. 10 Oregon Ducks play the Texas Longhorns in the Alamo Bowl at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas on Dec. 30, 2013. (Michael Arellano/Emerald)

Posted by Joseph Hoyt on Saturday, May. 10 at 10:32 am.

The Kansas City Chiefs selected former Oregon running back De’Anthony Thomas with the 24th pick in the 4th round of the 2014 NFL draft Saturday.

“I want to get anywhere on the field just to show my ability and that I can play football,” Thomas told GoDucks.com. “Wide receiver, punt returner, kick returner; I just want to be somewhere on the field so I can make plays.”

Last year for the Ducks, Thomas dealt with an injury for the first time in his career but still recorded 594 yards rushing and eight touchdowns. He also caught 22 passes for 246 yards and a touchdown. He bursted on the scene as a freshman with 55 carries for 595 yards and seven touchdowns, including two carries for 155 yards and two touchdowns against Wisconsin in the 2011 Rose Bowl.

Thomas elected to enter the NFL draft with one year of college football eligibility remaining.

CBSSports’ draft analyst Rob Rang called Thomas “the most electric player in the 2014 draft.” He also compared Thomas to current St. Louis Rams wide receiver Tavon Austin.

The Chiefs lost Dexter McCluster to the Tennessee Titans in free agency this offseason. Thomas should compete to take over for McCluster in a slot wide receiver role.

Here’s some reaction:

Follow Joseph Hoyt on Twitter @jhoyt42