Dakotah Keys wins third Pac-12 Championship in decathlon

Posted by Christopher Keizur on Sunday, May. 11 at 6:08 pm.

Oregon track and field finds itself in prime position after the first weekend of the Pac-12 Championships, with the multi-event athletes scoring big points.

Oregon sent four athletes to Pullman, Wash. to compete in both the decathlon and heptathlon. Reigning Pac-12 champion Dakotah Keys, freshman Mitch Modin and Alec Fellows represented the men while Daphne Chambers was the lone competitor for the Oregon women.

On the men’s side, all three Ducks finished in the top five of the decathlon. Keys won the decathlon with a final point total of 7801. The victory marks the third Pac-12 championship in a row for the junior. Modin finished in third (7310) while Fellows finished fourth (7081). Chambers finished sixth in the heptathlon with 5135 points.

The results helped boost Oregon’s overall score in the Pac-12 Championships, as the men were able to tally an impressive 21 team points. That total marks the most points in the decathlon for the Ducks since they scored 25 in 2004. Chambers’ performance gave the women three points.

Keys looked impressive over the two days. He was in second place after the first day thanks to finishing second in the 100 (11.16), shot put (42-6,25) and high jump (6-8.75). On the second day he kept things going with a win in the pole vault that gave him control of the lead.

Modin’s weekend was highlighted by two event wins, first in the shot put with a throw of 42-9.75. It was followed by a win in the 400 with a time of 49.09. He also set a new personal record in the pole vault, finishing with a mark of 14-9, which placed him third.

Fellows had two personal bests in the 100 (11.04) and long jump (24-1.75). Fellows also set his best day-one score as a decathlete, finishing with 3841 points, 49 points ahead of his previous record set at the Aztec Invitational.

Chambers had a strong showing in multiple events. She was able to match her personal record of 5-3.25 in the high jump and dominated the shot put with a toss of 43-3.75. She was just shy of another personal record in the long jump, with a final mark of 17-6.25.

Click here for a complete list of results from the Pac-12 Championships.

The Pac-12 Championships will continue this upcoming weekend as Pullman will once again play host to the conference’s top athletes. Events continue on Saturday, May 17.

Follow Christopher Keizur on Twitter @chriskeizur