Oregon softball awarded No. 1 overall seed in NCAA championship bracket

Posted by Jonathan Hawthorne on Sunday, May. 11 at 7:20 pm.

Oregon softball will be the No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA championship bracket, it was announced Sunday night on ESPNU’s Selection Show.

For the Ducks (49-7-1), the No. 1 seed is the first ever in program history.

Howe Field will play host to Utah Valley, Albany and Wisconsin. Game times and dates TBD. The Pac-12 networks is currently working with ESPN to televise Oregon’s games.

“It’s always good to be in that super-regional,” head coach Mike White said. “Hopefully you win your first round and get into the second round. Stay at home. Our home crowds have been fantastic and we’re looking forward to building that and working hard on getting back to the women’s college world series.”

The Ducks faced Utah Valley just a couple of weeks ago on April 29. The Ducks swept the Wolverines 8-0 by the run-rule and 5-4 in the second game.

“I don’t think that matters too much,” White said about seeing Utah Valley again. “They know as much about us as we know about them and of course now it’s a lot of hard work and delving in and trying to figure game plans out. And it of course comes down to one game at a time. Utah Valley gave us a pretty good match up but they haven’t seen much of Hawkins. Obliviously we’ll do that. We’ll throw our No. 1 out there.”

The team gathered with friends and family in the lobby of the Hatfield-Dowlin Complex to watch the live selection show on ESPNU. When Oregon was announced as the No. 1 seed, the team cheered and congratulated each other.

“Exciting,” senior Courtney Ceo said. “Joy, happiness, I don’t know, it’s just a really great feeling for all of us in there. We’re really excited to get that seed. We know we belong there. We wanted this and we got it, and now it’s time to live it up.”

The Ducks will play Utah Valley in the first round. No. 2 Alabama, No. 3 UCLA and No. 4 Georgia round out the top four seeds.

Follow Jonathan Hawthorne on Twitter @Jon_Hawthorne