Oregon track and field’s Trevor Ferguson talks Pac-12 Championships and the pressure to win

Oregon junior Trevor Ferguson lands in the sand pit during the men's long jump competition. The University of Oregon hosts the Oregon relays at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore. from April 17 through April 19, 2014.  (Ryan Kang/Emerald)

Oregon junior Trevor Ferguson lands in the sand pit during the men's long jump competition. The University of Oregon hosts the Oregon relays at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore. from April 17 through April 19, 2014. (Ryan Kang/Emerald)

Posted by Christopher Keizur on Friday, May. 16 at 10:01 am.

Oregon track and field jumper Trevor Ferguson took the time to speak to members of the media about the Pac-12 Championships this weekend. Described by Oregon head coach Robert Johnson as the break out star of the Pac-12 Championships last season, the redshirt junior is ready to have a repeat performance this year.

What do you hope to bring going to Pullman Washington?

“The whole team and myself are pretty excited to go up there and try to bring back a title for the team. I am excited to go up there and try to scrap for every point I can, try to help the team out.”

You guys have quite an advantage going up there, with 21 points already.

“Yeah the [decathletes] definitely did a great job up there last week. It makes things a little easier going up there off to a bit of a head start. But everyone is still determined to do their jobs.”

What about you, what are you going to be competing in this weekend?

“I’m not sure, we are still trying to figure it out. I’ll be jumping or hurdling or something like that. I am just excited to do whatever the team needs me to do.”

Talk about what it will be like having everybody competing.

“Bringing everyone together as a team makes everyone so excited to show how strong we are. It just makes everyone more determined and hungry to get out there and show what we got.”

It just came out, you guys are ranked number three nationally, what does that mean for the team?

“It’s a good confidence builder, though right now we aren’t focused on that too much. First and foremost it’s the Pac-12s we are looking at. After we can look forward to regionals and nationals.”

To keep the streak of Pac-12 Championships together, is there any added pressure?

“I don’t think there is pressure. It just makes everyone more motivated to keep the streak alive. At least for me it’s a really exciting opportunity to help the team and try to bring back an eighth title.”

Follow Christopher Keizur on Twitter @chriskeizur