Oregon track and field qualify multiple athletes after day one of the NCAA West Regionals

Posted by Christopher Keizur on Thursday, May. 29 at 9:32 pm.

Several Ducks punched their ticket to the NCAA Outdoor National Championships on Thursday, as part of the first day of the NCAA West Preliminary Round at Fayetteville, Ark.

Long jumper Trevor Ferguson was able to do something he has never accomplished before in his career as a Duck by qualifying for the NCAA Finals. The junior finished eleventh with a final jump of 24-11.25, positioning himself just one spot ahead of the cut.

Another first-time qualifier for Oregon was senior Sammie Clark. Clark finished ninth in the women’s pole vault with a final clearance of 13-3.

Of the four women entered into the javelin throw for Oregon, multi-sport athlete Liz Brenner was the only one to qualify. She threw for a personal record with a final mark of 169-1, placing her in fifth.

Brenner wasn’t the only Oregon thrower to find success. Junior Sam Crouser finished in first place (229-2) in the javelin, while freshman school record holder Brittany Mann threw for 53-3 in the shot put, good for eighth.

Sophomore Jenna Prandini also finished first in one of her qualifying events after dominating in the women’s long jump. Prandini jumped for a personal record 21-4.25.

Oregon had three athletes qualify for the NCAA Finals in the men’s 10,000. Freshman distance star Edward Cheserek finished second (29:06.99), while seniors Parker Stinson and Trevor Dunbar finished third and eighth, respectively.

In addition, several Ducks competed for a chance to participate in the finals of their events later this weekend.

Oregon’s Laura Roesler (third), Annie Leblanc (fifth) and Claudia Francis (11th) all moved on in the women’s 800.

Prandini followed up her long jump performance with yet another strong finish, this time in the women’s 100. Prandini ended as the top qualifier, advancing to the finals after running a 11.31. Freshman teammate Marybeth Sant also qualified, finishing 23rd (11.74).

Four runners from the men’s 1500 are moving on to the finals. Junior Daniel Winn, senior Mac Fleet, freshman Sam Prakel and junior Colby Alexander all finished in the top 25. Winn qualified with the best mark of the four, finishing fourth with a time of 3:42.95. Fleet finished 12th, Prakel 18th and Alexander 22nd.

Three more Ducks made it through to the finals in the women’s 1500, as Sarah Penney, Therese Haiss and Alli Cash all advanced. Penney was the top Oregon finisher at seventh place (4:22.11).

Click here for a complete list of results.

Day two of the NCAA West Preliminary Round will continue tomorrow, with the first event scheduled to begin at 10 a.m.

Follow Christopher Keizur on Twitter @chriskeizur