Oregon women’s basketball adds fifth-year Gonzaga transfer Danielle Walter for 2014-2015 campaign

Posted by Jonathan Hawthorne on Thursday, Jun. 5 at 12:33 pm.

Head coach Kelly Graves is bringing yet another piece of his former Gonzaga women’s basketball team to Eugene.

Fifth-year Gonzaga transfer Danielle Walter will join the program next season, Graves announced on Thursday. Former Gonzaga assistant coaches Jodie Berry and Nicole Powell have also joined Graves’ staff.

Walter, a native of Pasco, Wash., will be able to play immediately in her final season of eligibility. She has already graduated from Gonzaga and will enroll in a graduate school program at Oregon.

“Danielle will add size and depth for us on the perimeter next season,” Graves told GoDucks.com in the release. “She knows how we do things and will be a great help in teaching that new style of play to our current players while contributing on the court.”

Walter, a six-foot combo guard, averaged 4.5 points, 2.6 assists and 1.3 rebounds last season while playing in all 34 games for Gonzaga. She played a career-high 25 minutes in her final collegiate start against Pacific.

The senior shot 78.8 percent from the free throw line a year ago (41-of-52) and had an assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.9.

An alum of Pasco HS, Walter redshirted her freshman year at Gonzaga and was the No. 73 ranked recruit in the nation coming out of high school. She was a first team all-state pick in each of her final three years of high school.

Walter joins fellow transfer, 6-foot-5 center Jacinta Vandenberg from Fresno State, as newcomers on the Ducks’ roster next season. Oregon also welcomes two incoming freshman to the program for 2014-2015 — guards Lexi Bando (Eugene, Ore.) and forward Tatum Neubert (Elizabeth, Colo.).

Follow Jonathan Hawthorne on Twitter @Jon_Hawthorne