Oregon softball recaps season with third place finish in the country

The Oregon softball team welcomes the fans before the start of the game. The Oregon Ducks play the Wisconsin Badgers in the final round of regionals at Howe Field in Eugene, Oregon on Sunday, May 18, 2014. (Ryan Kang/Emerald)

Posted by Ryan Kostecka on Friday, Jun. 6 at 12:27 pm.

By all means, the Oregon softball team’s season can be deemed as a “success.”

Not only did the Ducks make it back to the Women’s College World Series for the first time since 2012, but they also broke numerous school records. They earned their second consecutive Pac-12 Championship, too.

“I’m always reflecting on what we can do differently,” head coach Mike White said. “There are going to be no major changes next year except the new players coming in.”

The Ducks finished the season with a school record 56 wins, going 20-3-1 in Pac-12 play, while never suffering back-to-back losses all year.

Courtney Ceo, Janie Takeda and Cheridan Hawkins all took home all-American honors, while White was named Pac-12 Coach of the Year. Ceo led the nation with a .493 batting and leaves Oregon as the career leader in hits, runs scored and batting average. Kailee Cuico, Oregon’s all-time home run leader, and Alexa Peterson will join Ceo in the National Pro Fastpitch league to continue their softball careers.

Oregon returns a core group of players in Takeda, Hawkins, Nikki Udria, Koral Costa and Janelle Lindvall while adding the nation’s No. 1 recruit in Jenna Lilley to make another run at the National Championship in 2015.

Follow Ryan Kostecka on Twitter @Ryan_Kostecka