Oregon Ducks defensive back Eric Amoako to transfer in hopes of playing closer to home

Oregon freshman defensive back Eric Amoako (28) hugs a family member after the Ducks won the Alamo Bowl. The No. 10 Oregon Ducks play the Texas Longhorns in the Alamo Bowl at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas on Dec. 30, 2013. (Ryan Kang/Emerald)

Posted by Hayden Kim on Thursday, Jun. 12 at 4:15 pm.

The Oregon football team confirmed the transfer of defensive back Eric Amoako Thursday afternoon. According to DuckTerritory, Amoako’s decision to transfer revolved around playing closer to his home town of Arlington, Texas.

“Eric asked for, and received, a release shortly after the conclusion of Spring football practice,” Mark Helfrich said in a statement released to the Oregonian. “We wish him all the best in pursue of his education and football goals.”

Amoako’s only appearance last season was against Nicholls State. His twin brother Stephen Amoako, will remain at Oregon.

This is the second transfer from Oregon this week following linebacker Tyrell Robinson.

Follow Hayden Kim on Twitter @HayDayKim

• Michael P. Richards

what’s going on with ALL THESE TRANSFERS on the football team? I never remember so many.

• Eric H

It’s really no different than any previous year or what’s happening at any other school. Having around 5-7 transfers a year is pretty common these days.