Former Oregon men’s basketball players Damyean Dotson, Dominic Artis and Brandon Austin have been found responsible for sexual misconduct violating the University of Oregon student conduct code and will be suspended from the school for at least four years, attorney John Clune told The Emerald Monday morning. Clune represents the survivor of a sexual assault allegedly committed by Dotson, Artis and Austin. Clune said the players can be suspended for a maximum of 10 years, depending on how long his client is on campus.
Clune provided the following statement from his client in response to the results of the student conduct hearing:
“I think the word relieved is probably most accurate. It is the right result but it would have been very hard to stay at UO with a different outcome.”
Clune released the alleged survivor’s first statement to The Emerald on June 5.
Clune has represented clients in other high-profile cases involving athletes, including a sexual assault civil against NBA star Kobe Bryant, a civil lawsuit against former MLB pitcher Johan Santana and the Florida State rape case involving Heisman trophy winner Jamies Winston.
The Emerald has contacted the UO and is awaiting comment on the players’ suspension.
UPDATE (4:49 p.m. June 23): UO spokeswoman Julie Brown emailed a statement about the suspensions to The Emerald.
“As in all cases of sexual misconduct, we provide information to the complainant and the accused about the results of our administrative proceedings. It appears that the information released by Mr. Clune is accurate. As has been said before, each young man had previously been given their full release and permission to contact any school. Any inquiries related to transfers should be directed to the individual.
“In all reports of any misconduct including sexual harassment, intimidation or violence, the university works to protect and support the students involved. Student safety is our top priority. The UO is working with the campus community and an expert panel to review our prevention and response practices.”
Brown confirmed that the three players will be suspended for at least four years.
UPDATE: (7:50 p.m. June 23): Artis’ attorney, Greg Veralrud, sent the following statement to The Oregonian’s Andrew Greif Monday evening.
The attorney for Dominic Artis, Greg Veralrud, just emailed this response to the news of his client's UO suspension: pic.twitter.com/MispvoFEh4
— Andrew Greif (@AndrewGreif) June 24, 2014
Follow Victor Flores on Twitter @vflores415