Oregon signee Raevyn Rogers soars, wins 800 on final day of USATF Junior Championships

Posted by Christopher Keizur on Sunday, Jul. 6 at 8:12 pm.

Incoming Oregon freshman Raevyn Rogers had quite the performance on the final day of the USATF Junior Championships Sunday at Historic Hayward Field.

Rogers, who competed in the women’s 800, dominated the competition en route to a first place finish and invitation to compete later this month in the World Junior Championships.

She led the race from start to finish, winning in a blistering 2:04.40. Sabrina Southerland of Georgetown finished second (2:04.83).

Rogers wasn’t the only Duck to celebrate a victory, as future teammate Nate Moore had an outstanding performance in the men’s triple jump. The charismatic jumper launched himself on his fifth attempt (53-7) to win the event.

Moore also competed well yesterday, finishing fourth in the long jump.

Ashlee Moore, another future Duck, finished seventh (13.76) in the women’s 100 meter hurdles while Oregon freshman Maggie Schmaedick took fifth in the women’s 5000 meters. Despite finishing outside the top-two, Schmaedick will still compete in the World Juniors as she is the top finisher with a qualifying time.

The final Oregon performance of the day was a third place finish courtesy of Oregon’s Chris Mullverhill in the men’s steeplechase. Mullverhill finished in 9:20.55.

Click here for an entire list of results.

In total, the Ducks have to consider the meet a success as the school was able to qualify five athletes for the World Juniors; Cole Walsh (pole vault), Schmaedick (5k), Moore (heptathlon), Rogers (800) and Ariana Washington (100).

Follow Christopher Keizur on Twitter @chriskeizur