Oregon freshman Edward Cheserek named finalist for Bowerman Trophy

Oregon freshman Edward Cheserek places first in the 10,000 meter finals with a new personal record time of 28:30.18. The University of Oregon hosts day one of the NCAA 2014 Outdoor Track and Field Championships at Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon on June 11, 2014. (Andrew Seng/Emerald)

Posted by Christopher Keizur on Wednesday, Jul. 9 at 1:34 pm.

Oregon’s Edward Cheserek was named one of the three finalists for The Bowerman Trophy, one of collegiate track and field’s highest individual honors.

The other two finalists named were Arizona’s Lawi Lalang and Texas A&M’s Deon Lendore.

Oregon has had four finalists and two winners since the award was created in 2009. Galen Rupp took the inaugural trophy in 2009, while decathlon world record holder Ashton Eaton won it in 2010.

Cheserek was impressive in his freshman year at Oregon, collecting multiple championships. He swept the indoor 3000 and 5000 meter national titles and added a 10,000 victory at the Outdoor National Championships. Cheserek also finished second in the 5000 outdoors in what turned out to be the fastest race in meet history.

The freshman finished No. 8 all-time amongst collegiate athletes outdoors in the 5000 (13:18.71) and No. 9 all-time in the 1500 (3:36.50).

Cheserek has also made his mark on Oregon after just one year. He ranks second in school history in the 5000, fourth in the 1500 and sixth in the 10,000.

The finalists for the women’s trophy will be announced Thursday at 11 p.m.

Track and field fans can influence the decision of who wins the award by casting their vote in what will ultimately result as one ballot alongside the media, statisticians, USTFCCCA member coaches and other experts from around the nation.

Voting to determine both the men and women’s trophies will begin July 28 and conclude August 12.

Follow Christopher Keizur on Twitter @chriskeizur