Topic: Fiesta Bowl 2012

Marcus Mariota’s MVP award a perfect end to a brilliant debut season

By on Friday, Jan. 4 at 1:27 pm.

GLENDALE, Ariz. — Marcus Ardel Taulauniu Mariota won eight games as a collegiate starting quarterback before his 19th birthday. He swooped into Oregon, snatched an unexpected quarterback vacancy from a talented sophomore and passed and ran his way all over the Oregon record books. Hoisting the Fiesta Bowl’s Offensive MVP award after the game was […]

Oregon defense shuts down Heisman candidate Collin Klein

By on Friday, Jan. 4 at 8:04 am.

GLENDALE, Ariz. — Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein racked up 2,490 passing yards in the 2012 season. In the rushing department, Klein ran for 890 yards, and if you combine both his aerial and ground scores, he tallied 37 touchdowns on the season. If you break it down further, the Heisman candidate was insanely impressive […]

“An obscure ruling”: The rare Fiesta Bowl appearance of the one-point safety

By on Friday, Jan. 4 at 7:40 am.

GLENDALE, Ariz. — If you didn’t understand what was happening when the referee took to his mic and said “we have an obscure ruling” before explaining the Ducks’ one-point safety, you weren’t the only one. The obscurity is one of the rarest in college football — it’s only happened one other time in NCAA history — and most of […]

Fiesta Bowl Instant Recap (End 3Q): No. 4 Oregon 32, No. 5 Kansas State 10

By on Thursday, Jan. 3 at 8:37 pm.

The third quarter belonged to Oregon, completely and totally. After entering the locker room at halftime with much of the momentum thanks to a late touchdown drive, quarterback Marcus Mariota led the Ducks on back-to-back scoring campaigns. The first, a 10-play, 62-yarder culminating in a redemptive 22-yard field goal by Alejandro Maldonado. The kick, only […]

Fiesta Bowl Instant Recap (Halftime): No. 4 Oregon 22, No. 5 Kansas State 10

By on Thursday, Jan. 3 at 7:21 pm.

All year long (okay, minus the Stanford game), Oregon has been a stick of dynamite. It’s usually just a matter of how long the fuse is. With about one minute left in the first half of Thursday’s Fiesta Bowl, the Ducks exploded, driving 76 yards in 46 seconds. Oregon senior running back Kenjon Barner sealed […]

Fiesta Bowl Instant Recap (End 1Q): No. 4 Oregon 15, No. 5 Kansas State 0

By on Thursday, Jan. 3 at 6:48 pm.

Just a quarter into the Fiesta Bowl, the Ducks have struck fast and first at the Wildcats. Sophomore speedster De’Anthony Thomas took the opening kickoff of the game 94 yards for the touchdown, silencing the wide swathes of fans wearing purple and silver at the University of Phoenix Stadium. Dion Jordan caught a screen pass […]

Ducks, Inc.: Oregon has ready replacement if Chip Kelly leaves, USA Today reports

By on Thursday, Jan. 3 at 5:21 pm.

I hate to fuel the “Will Chip leave?” fire, but USA Today’s George Schroeder — former sports columnist for the Eugene Register Guard  — reported today that Oregon would likely promote offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich in the event that head coach Chip Kelly accepts a position in the National Football League. This comes from a […]

Fiesta Bowl: Keys to the game for Oregon and Kansas State

By on Thursday, Jan. 3 at 5:05 pm.

GLENDALE, Ariz. — With kickoff fast approaching, here are a few keys to the game for both teams. Oregon 1. Win third down: Everybody knows at this point that the Wildcats offense revolves around dual-threat quarterback, Collin Klein. The Heisman finalist had 22 rushing touchdowns this season, but unlike other mobile quarterbacks he isn’t a […]

Green helmets, white jerseys and green pants for Ducks at the Fiesta Bowl

By on Thursday, Jan. 3 at 3:59 pm.

GLENDALE—Oregon will wear green uniforms, white jerseys and green pants when they take the field in a few hours against Kansas State, while Kansas State (as they always do) will don silver helmets, purple uniforms and silver pants. Oh, and if you can’t quite figure out what color the wings on the Ducks jerseys are, […]