Topic: oregon ducks baseball

Oregon baseball hosts UC Riverside for three-game series this weekend

By on Friday, Apr. 11 at 12:51 am.

Oregon baseball (24-10, 7-5 Pac-12) hosts UC Riverside (14-14, 3-3 Big West) this weekend at PK Park for a three-game series. The Ducks are coming off a two-game sweep of Portland and play each of their next four games against non-conference opponents. The major question that’s being asked around Oregon baseball is, “who will replace […]

Oregon baseball: Ducks’ bullpen holds Gonzaga in 3-2 win

By on Wednesday, Apr. 2 at 12:26 pm.

The Oregon baseball team (20-8) won in familiar fashion Tuesday night, relying on manufacturing runs and strong pitching to beat Gonzaga (10-17) 3-2 in the first game of a mid-week two-game series. Mitchell Tolman went 2-for-4 and A.J. Balta and J.B. Bryant had an RBI apiece. Starting pitcher Jordan Spencer threw three shutout innings, allowing […]

Oregon baseball: Oregon looks uncomfortable at plate in 8-4 loss to San Francisco

By on Wednesday, Mar. 26 at 11:35 am.

The No. 11 Oregon baseball team wasn’t much of a factor offensively against the San Francisco Dons on Tuesday. The Ducks looked sluggish and tired. But head coach George Horton wouldn’t allow his players to make excuses, giving most of the credit to the Dons. In the city by the bay, the Ducks had the […]

Oregon baseball: Senior Connor Hofmann asks for release from team

By on Wednesday, Mar. 26 at 11:24 am.

Senior outfielder Connor Hofmann has asked for his release from the Oregon baseball team, according to head coach George Horton. The San Diego, Calif., native is in his fourth year with the Ducks. Before his request for a release, Hofmann was hitting .222 (6-for-27) with five RBIs and two runs scored on the season. “He […]

Oregon baseball: Ducks beat USC 7-2 in rubber game to win series

By on Sunday, Mar. 16 at 6:26 pm.

The Oregon baseball team (14-5, 2-1 Pac-12) beat USC (10-8, 1-2) 7-2 Sunday afternoon to win its first Pac-12 series of the season. Starting pitcher Jeff Gold was excellent, throwing 6.2 innings and giving up two earned runs on six hits with no walks and six strikeouts. Tyler Baumgartner went 2-for-5 with three RBI. Nick […]

Oregon baseball: With solid Sunday performance, Jeff Gold might have solidified starting job

By on Sunday, Mar. 9 at 4:55 pm.

On a cloudy and, at times, rainy day at PK Park, the Oregon baseball team scored the most runs in program history since its reinstatement in 2009, beating Ohio State 20-4. In four innings the Ducks scored four or more runs, including a seven-run third inning. This was all backing up Jeff Gold, who made […]

Oregon baseball: Tommy Thorpe with huge bounce-back effort in win

By on Saturday, Mar. 8 at 3:14 am.

Oregon head baseball coach George Horton said Tommy Thorpe needed to “show up” earlier this week after the ace got shelled in his last start. Thorpe did that and more in a dominant performance in Oregon’s 8-2 win over Ohio State Friday night. The junior southpaw tossed seven shutout innings, giving up just two hits […]

Oregon baseball: Ducks win game two 4-3 over Seattle, sweep short series

By on Tuesday, Mar. 4 at 11:22 pm.

Tyler Baumgartner’s eighth inning RBI double was the difference in the Oregon baseball team’s 4-3 win over Seattle University in the second game of Tuesday’s doubleheader. The Ducks struggled to convert with runners in scoring position all night, leaving 11 men on base. Baumgartner drove in Mark Karaviotis from second with two outs to break […]

Oregon baseball: Kevin Minjares takes a big road for a small player

By on Tuesday, Mar. 4 at 1:54 pm.

Oregon baseball’s Kevin Minjares’ journey to Oregon was complicated and a bit lucky. Minjares is starting his first year at Oregon this season — as a senior. The 5-foot 6, 152-pound shortstop is doing what many thought he couldn’t — playing collegiate baseball. “It didn’t feel real at first,” Minjares said. “It was a long road … […]

Oregon baseball: Little mistakes lead to losses against Cal State Fullerton

By on Sunday, Mar. 2 at 6:35 pm.

After starting the 2014 season a perfect 8-0, the Oregon baseball team faced its first true test in fifth-ranked Cal State Fullerton and didn’t pass, getting swept in the three-game series. At first glance, it may appear that this year’s Ducks can’t compete with the top dogs of college baseball. With the loss of several […]

Emerald Quick Hits: Terrance Mitchell finishes first among DBs in multiple drills at NFL combine

By on Wednesday, Feb. 26 at 5:08 pm.

- Former Oregon cornerback Terrance Mitchell completed his NFL Combine workouts in Indianapolis, Ind., on Tuesday. Mitchell didn’t rank in the top 15 among defensive backs in the 40-yard dash (4.63 seconds), vertical jump (34 inches) or broad jump (117 inches) but recorded the fastest time in the 3-cone drill (6.57 seconds) and tied for the […]

The good, the bad, the ugly: Oregon lands four-star recruit Budda Baker

By on Saturday, Dec. 21 at 11:01 pm.

GOOD – Four-star safety Bishard “Budda” Baker announced via twitter his commitment to play for Oregon football next season: I AM OFFICIALLY COMMITTED TO… pic.twitter.com/JYReedT483 — budda baker (@buddabaker32) December 20, 2013 Baker joins four-star cornerback recruit Arrion Springs as highly touted secondary recruits to commit to the Ducks. Earlier on Friday, Springs foreshadowed the […]

Oregon baseball ranked sixth in preseason poll

By on Friday, Dec. 20 at 8:00 pm.

Oregon baseball is ranked sixth in the first collegiate baseball poll of the preseason. The Ducks finished their 2013 campaign 48-16 including a trip to the Regional Final of the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. Key returning players include preseason third team All-America selection Cole Irvin (LHP), infielder Mitchell Tolman, starting pitcher Tommy Thorpe and […]

Former Duck Jimmie Sherfy continues to find success at next level

By on Sunday, Jul. 21 at 7:23 pm.

Former Oregon Ducks closer Jimmie Sherfy didn’t have to travel far to begin his professional career. After being selected in the 10th round of June’s Major League Baseball draft by the Arizona Diamondbacks, Sherfy was assigned to pitch for the class A Hillsboro Hops — just two hours north of where he played college ball. In […]

Oregon baseball tries to push past recent struggles and look to match up with Appel

By on Thursday, Apr. 25 at 1:05 pm.

Oregon is coming off a stretch of four games where they were lucky to go 2-2. The first win avoided a sweep at the hands of UCLA while the second came against a Portland team that should have been easy competition. Oregon committed 11 errors in the games, including five against Portland, roughing up their […]