Topic: Oregon men’s basketball

Oregon tries new lineup against Delaware State, still looking for answers

By on Saturday, Dec. 20 at 2:47 pm.

Dana Altman had enough with the bad starts. Even with a 7-3 record heading into their matchup with visiting Delaware State, Altman said he was planning to switch things up. Today, he started Casey Benson, Jordan Bell and Jalil Abdul-Bassit, all newcomers to the starting five. These five ended up giving the Ducks (8-3) the […]

Joseph Young’s complete performance leads Oregon past Cal State Northridge

By on Wednesday, Dec. 17 at 10:33 pm.

Joseph Young did everything right Wednesday night as he led Oregon (7-3) past visiting Cal State Northridge 79-56. After struggling from the floor for the past few games, Young shot efficiently and filled up the stat sheet. Young finished with a game-high 18 points along with eight rebounds and four assists as he went 7-for-14 […]

Emerald Quick Hits: Volleyball falls, Mariota rises to the spotlight

By on Monday, Dec. 15 at 12:53 pm.

- Marcus Mariota had a memorable weekend, bringing home a plethora of awards including the Heisman trophy, becoming the first Duck to ever win the trophy. Check out the Emerald’s feature piece on Mariota here. – After dropping its Sweet 16 matchup to North Carolina, Oregon volleyball’s season has come to a close. The Emerald’s Kenny […]

Oregon men’s basketball picks up first road win, defeats Illinois 77-70

By on Saturday, Dec. 13 at 6:55 pm.

On a night that centered around Oregon’s first-ever Heisman trophy winner, their men’s basketball team also had something to be happy about. Defeating Illinois on the road 77-70, the Ducks improved to 6-3 on the season. In a game that remained close until the final few minutes, there were two names that stood out: Dillon […]

Oregon basketball downs Concordia 94-63

By on Wednesday, Dec. 3 at 10:21 pm.

The Oregon men’s basketball team used some of its depth to overcome another slow start and defeat Concordia 94-63 on Wednesday night at Matthew Knight Arena. Five Ducks finished in double-figures and the team shot 52.5 percent (42-80) on the night in the lopsided matchup, but a sloppy start gave Oregon (5-2) head coach Dana Altman plenty […]

Emerald Quick Hits: Postseason play up next for Oregon fall sports

By on Monday, Dec. 1 at 11:18 am.

– After Arizona emerged as the Pac-12 south champion, Oregon head coach Mark Helfrich spoke with the media about having to break the team’s two-year skid against the Wildcats with a playoff bid and a conference championship on the line. – Oregon’s dominant Civil War victory proved that the team is hitting its stride at the […]

Behind Jordan Bell’s career night, Oregon men’s basketball hands Portland State its first loss

By on Monday, Dec. 1 at 12:58 am.

There was a lot to like for Dana Altman and his staff as the Oregon men’s basketball (4-2) took down visiting Portland State (4-1) 81-59, a team who recently beat USC on the road. Coming off back-to-back losses to Michigan and VCU in the Progressive Legends Classic, the Ducks hit their first roadblock of the […]

Jalil Abdul-Bassit is playing well and making opponents notice

By on Sunday, Nov. 30 at 8:16 pm.

With 1:52 seconds left on the clock in the first half, Jalil Abdul-Bassit came off a screen and caught a pass from Joseph Young. Without even thinking and without his feet being set, Abdul-Bassit rose off the ground and fired a contested three-pointer. If this same situation last year would’ve happened, Abdul-Bassit would’ve been immediately […]

Progressive Legends Classic: Oregon men’s basketball falls to No. 19 Michigan, but not without a fight

By on Monday, Nov. 24 at 9:49 pm.

On paper, the Oregon men’s basketball team had little to no advantages heading into their semifinals matchup at the Progressive Legends Classic against No. 19 Michigan. For the first time this season, the Ducks were on the road and it was under the big lights as they faced off at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, […]

Oregon men’s basketball prepares for early season challenge against Toledo

By on Wednesday, Nov. 19 at 7:47 pm.

Dana Altman called Oregon’s next three games the toughest stretch he’s had to face at Oregon. The Ducks face Toledo at Matthew Knight Arena on Friday before heading to Brooklyn to face No. 24 Michigan, then No. 12 Villanova or No. 15 VCU to finish up the Progressive Legends Classic. Each team will present a unique […]

ICYMI: Oregon men’s basketball overcomes Young’s off night against Detroit

By on Tuesday, Nov. 18 at 7:12 pm.

Oregon men’s basketball got its first taste of adversity in game one of the Progressive Legends Classic as the Ducks topped Detroit 83-66 on Monday night at Matthew Knight Arena. After ending the first half at a 35-35 tie, the Ducks (2-0) used an 11-0 advantage in second chance points to separate from the Titans […]

Emerald Quick Hits: Joseph Young added to preseason Top 50 list, women’s tennis sign top recruit

By on Monday, Nov. 17 at 7:21 pm.

- Today, Oregon men’s basketball’s Joseph Young was added to the preseason Top 50 list for the John R. Wooden Award. The senior had  had 32 points, eight assists and five rebounds in the Ducks’ first game. – Oregon women’s tennis coach Alison Silverio announced the signing of another five-star recruit today. The team signed Rebekah Anderson, […]

Emerald Quick Hits: Oregon football ranked No. 2 heading into home stretch

By on Wednesday, Nov. 12 at 3:48 pm.

- The Oregon football team walked out of Rice-Eccles Stadium with another notable win against then No. 20 Utah. They were rewarded with a No. 2 ranking by the 12-person playoff selection committee. – The Oregon men’s basketball team will officially begin their regular season against Coppin State this Friday. Josh Schlichter of the Emerald had a […]

Gameday: Pac-12 basketball Power Rankings

By on Monday, Nov. 10 at 10:42 am.

A few years ago, the Pac-12 conference was looked upon as one of the nation’s most talented and deepest men’s basketball conferences. A lot has changed over the years and entering the 2014-2015 season, the conference’s talent outlook has never seemed bleaker. With only two teams being ranked in the AP preseason top-25, the conference’s depth […]

Q&A: Life after basketball: Johnathan Loyd sheds insight onto reconstructed Oregon men’s basketball team

By on Monday, Nov. 10 at 5:46 pm.

For the first time in four years, Johnathan Loyd won’t be lacing up for the Oregon men’s basketball team. As the newly reconstructed Ducks head into the season, Loyd, currently a member of the Oregon football team, took a moment to shed some insight on the upcoming season and what to expect from the new players. Here’s […]

Led by Joseph Young, Oregon men’s basketball tries to regroup

By on Monday, Nov. 10 at 12:02 am.

A lot has changed for Oregon men’s basketball since it played Wisconsin in the second round of the NCAA tournament last year. That game forecasted a promising future for the program. Fifth-year coach Dana Altman had successfully assembled a talented roster with players like Damyean Dotson and Dominic Artis – who are both now gone […]